Kara S.
Kara S.
  • Hometalk Team
  • Houston, TX

Dollar Store Flower Dipping Technique

$9

I was totally inspired by the post from Virginia B. (here on Hometalk) on flower dipping! This technique is so beautiful and can be done to practically anything. Here is how to do it!
First I started with flowers from the Dollar Store. There are a variety to choose from but for my project, I chose small roses.
Next, clip the heads off the flowers. When doing this, be sure to leave some stem to hang on to when you being the dipping.

Now mix up your plaster of paris. Follow the instructions on the packaging but I used 2 parts plaster to 1 part cold water. When it's mixed well, it should be a yogurt-like consistency.
Take your flower and hold onto the stem and dip the flower into the plater.
Be sure to cover the entire bud and the bit of green leading up to the stem.
Lay a sheet of parchment or wax paper down on a baking tin to let the flowers dry. Make sure to let the dry completely before moving them.
Once they are dry, take a scissors and cut off the stem. Get as close to the base of the flower as possible.
I decided to decorate Dollar Store jars with my flowers.
I removed the lid and spray painted it white along with the flowers.
Once they were all dry, I used E6000 to glue the flowers on the tops of my jars. I used 3 flowers per jar.
Here is the finished jars! They add such a girly feel to my apartment and They are so sturdy. They haven't cracked or crumbled and because I spray painted them, they are extra durable.

• Purplenine

also how much plaster of paris do you need for 120 plus flowers?

• Sandy

REALLY, LIKE SHE SAID DO A BATCH THEN MAKE MORE.

• Bmi32050820

I bought a crochet basket in the shape of a heart with these flowers on top 25 years ago and it is still beautiful my flowers are shaded in red and pink. I have always wondered how they tinted the plaster. Do u know?

• Sarah Shaver

I did this and used food coloring. They look like porcelain flowers. It’s been almost 10 years and they’re still holding up well.

• Betty Sutton Smith

Is there a way you can home make the plaster??? And you didnt mention the total cost of the project ,since I'm on a low fixed income. I love this idea!!! Thank you for sharing they are beautiful.

• Gail Morey

Look on wikiHow. There's a video that shows you how to make it using flour. Hope this helps.

• Annette

Very nice I like color so I would want to color the roses I love a soft pink with a little dark mixed in and maybe a little white. Great gift giving ideas.....

• Kathy Kovacev

Beautiful 😍. I will be doing this one. Thanks.