Kara S.
Kara S.
  • Hometalk Team
  • Houston, TX

Dollar Store Flower Dipping Technique

$9

I was totally inspired by the post from Virginia B. (here on Hometalk) on flower dipping! This technique is so beautiful and can be done to practically anything. Here is how to do it!
dollar store flower dipping technique
First I started with flowers from the Dollar Store. There are a variety to choose from but for my project, I chose small roses.
dollar store flower dipping technique
Next, clip the heads off the flowers. When doing this, be sure to leave some stem to hang on to when you being the dipping.

dollar store flower dipping technique
Now mix up your plaster of paris. Follow the instructions on the packaging but I used 2 parts plaster to 1 part cold water. When it's mixed well, it should be a yogurt-like consistency.
dollar store flower dipping technique
Take your flower and hold onto the stem and dip the flower into the plater.
dollar store flower dipping technique
Be sure to cover the entire bud and the bit of green leading up to the stem.
dollar store flower dipping technique
Lay a sheet of parchment or wax paper down on a baking tin to let the flowers dry. Make sure to let the dry completely before moving them.
dollar store flower dipping technique
Once they are dry, take a scissors and cut off the stem. Get as close to the base of the flower as possible.
dollar store flower dipping technique
I decided to decorate Dollar Store jars with my flowers.
dollar store flower dipping technique
I removed the lid and spray painted it white along with the flowers.
dollar store flower dipping technique
Once they were all dry, I used E6000 to glue the flowers on the tops of my jars. I used 3 flowers per jar.
dollar store flower dipping technique
Here is the finished jars! They add such a girly feel to my apartment and They are so sturdy. They haven't cracked or crumbled and because I spray painted them, they are extra durable.

• Teresa Bourque Galtier

Hi have you ever tried doing this project using a color added to the mixture. If so would you know of what kind of paint I could use? I love your ideas.
  • Jennifer Acker Wells

How long does it take for plaster to dry on flowers buds
    • Ali

It's very fast. Only a few minutes.

• Kara S.

I let them dry about 30 min before spray painting just to be safe
    • Jewellmartin

And I would let the plastered roses cure a little longler, like 3-24 hours before spray paining. And if the plaster is too thin, I would dip the flowers, wait a while to see if the plaster sticks, then redip if needed and let that layer dry. If the plaster is too thick, it might fall off in petal-sized chunks. In that case, knock the roses on the inside of a trash can to get most of the thick plaster off. Then thin the plaster with a little water at a time, then redip those roses. Dry thoroughly.
      By the way, plaster is pretty cheap, but once you get a batch mixed up, you can save it for days if you have it in a plastic container with a tight lid, like a margarine tub.
      Thank you for this great tutorial in making plaster porcelain flowers. Best wishes 😇
  • Shirlee Smith

Has anyone tried spray painting the roses with a metallic gold color?
    • Teresa

My grandmother did, back in the late 50's, early 60's. I just took the photo, so obviously it's held up. (Sorry for the poor quality, it's hung near the ceiling). Certainly there's better quality supplies around now, give it a try!
    • Sally-Charles Evans

Amazing! They came out very well! I think the grandkids would like making something for mom using this method.
    • Sure you can add colour to the Plaster of Paris itself, or spray paint it any colour you want.
    • Karen Travis

There is a spray glitter for crafts. You can get it at walmart in the craft section. Comes in gold and silver and a few other colors. I use it on wedding flowers or what ever i am doing.
  • Judy

Wonder if you could add food color or paint to make colors?
    • Nadine Hartman Bourne

You can color it with almost anything. do small test batches before you actually dip the flowers. like if you are going for red the plaster may make it pink. if you do a test first then you will know. if you use craft paint use it as part of the water other wise it may end up being too thin a consistency if you add it later.

• Judy

Thank you so much Nadine .I will try it... Ocklawaha Fla
    • Don16700591

Judy, thanks for asking that question. And Nadine for telling us what to do. I'm a beginner too. Thank you ladies
    • Carolyn

Me too. Thanks
    • Barb in Texas

For you beginners, I'd suggest assuming you'll never get much darker than a light pastel color, but let me know if I'm wrong. Maybe powdered Rit Dye would get you a darker color than food coloring or acrylic paint.
    • Tami Clanton

Or you can spray paint the completed flower after the plaster of paris is dry. This way you can control the color. Kara spray painted her flowers as well as the lid she attached her flowers to so they would match. With spray paint you can use different techniques to mist just the edges of the flowers or use 2 different colors. The sky's the limit!
  • Judy

How much water it didn't show her measuring anything which should be shown for beginners
    • Diane

she said 2 parts plaster to one part water--2 cups plaster 1 cup water

• Charlie

She also said follow the directions on the packaging.

• Mary

Have to be like pancake batter consistency
  • Nancy Wilson

How long does it take for the plaster of paris mixture to dry? I am doing a craft class and wonder if I should prepare the flowers ahead of time.
  • Jennet Forde

Where are the instructions?
    • Ann Haddock Blenstroub

The instructions are on the box of Plaster of Paris. The directions are explained in the photos and the accompanying text.

• Melissa Crosby

can you put some food dye in to the plaster mix

• Ann Haddock Blenstroub

I don’t know about food dye but you can add a little bit of craft paint to tint the plaster. Maybe a tablespoon, I wouldn’t add too much. You can easily tint it a soft pastel color.

• Anne Mccarty

yes, food dye will work every time you use water for an art project. Iwould however mixed it first with the water, then the colored water with the Plaster

• Tina

You should be able to use craft paints and paint on with a brush. I did something similar to this but I used fabric stiffener and silk flowers. Once they were dry, I spray painted them white and then painted them with craft paint to make them look more realistic. Then glued them on whatever I wanted top decorate.

• Lisa House

I dip mine directly into chalk paint. I also remove the stems and glue a toothpick in place so I can stand them up in styrofoam to dry. The toothpicks also make it easier to place them into a styrofoam wreath or a small vase.

• Barb C

Do you need to shake the excess P of P off or let it drip for a while before setting flowers down? Or place on a rack?.

TY for your advice.

• Janice

The "batter" is pretty thick so it won't drip very much. You might make some holes in a piece of cardboard and let the flowers sit in the holes to dry. Just the small partial stem would fit through. Then the flowers will dry upright

• Cheryl

So clever. Can you add color to plaster?

• Kay Cloninger Kirby

Will they hold up outside I would like to do it on a wreath

• Purplenine

i have read all the questions and answers but i'm still confused about the drying time. i'm also doing it for a class of moms and am wondering if i should just bring the flowers "ready made"? it would definitely cut down on the mess time and clean up times and let the moms doing the projects enjoy it all faster.

• Susan

It will take a little time for them to dry. Over night for sure! So, for your project I'd suggest you "ready Make" them for your class! You can let them paint the lids, and while the lids are drying, they can get the flowers arranged how they want, so when it's time, all they have to do is glue! Good luck and post pics!

• Purplenine

also can i use a glue gun instead of the epoxy?

• Susan

you can. I find the cool glue isn't as strong as hot glue. JUST MY THOUGHT!! But, I'd suggest hot glue. And use the Gorilla glue it is my favorite hot glue!

• Purplenine

also how much plaster of paris do you need for 120 plus flowers?

• Susan

I'd suggest small batches. Because it will start drying out! So, just make it as you go is my suggestion.

• Sandy

REALLY, LIKE SHE SAID DO A BATCH THEN MAKE MORE.

• Bmi32050820

I bought a crochet basket in the shape of a heart with these flowers on top 25 years ago and it is still beautiful my flowers are shaded in red and pink. I have always wondered how they tinted the plaster. Do u know?

• Src11669620

Use a few drops of food color?

• Colleen

I would think you could tint with some water based paint.

• Robyn Garner

I would think either one would work! Try both and see.

• Sherri

Food cocoring

• Tia

I'm sure you could squirt a bit of acrylic paint in the plaster mix would work. You can get small bottles from the craft store!

• Charlotte Kirchner-reyes

Indigo Inks. My roommate and I have mixed them with white semi-gloss interior paint to make our own shades for walls and trim, so I'm sure you could mix a few droppers of the ink with the plaster.

• Sarah Shaver

I did this and used food coloring. They look like porcelain flowers. It’s been almost 10 years and they’re still holding up well.

• Betty Sutton Smith

Is there a way you can home make the plaster??? And you didnt mention the total cost of the project ,since I'm on a low fixed income. I love this idea!!! Thank you for sharing they are beautiful.

• Gail Morey

Look on wikiHow. There's a video that shows you how to make it using flour. Hope this helps.

• Farokh

Can do this project with real flowers?

• Annette

Very nice I like color so I would want to color the roses I love a soft pink with a little dark mixed in and maybe a little white. Great gift giving ideas.....

• Kathy Kovacev

Beautiful 😍. I will be doing this one. Thanks.