The Best Inexpensive and Non-Toxic DIY Deck Cleaner

$10

It’s the beginning of summer…time to start inviting some friends over to hang out on the deck! The only problem? The deck is covered in dirt and algae.

the best inexpensive and non toxic diy deck cleaner
This winter was particularly cool and damp around here…perfect algae growing conditions! As you can see, the deck was definitely in need of some cleaning.

Over the years, I have tried lots of different store-bought cleaning products.  Some work better than others, but almost all of them are really hard on the plants around my deck...not to mention toxic for my pets.
I finally stumbled across a homemade deck cleaner that is safe for plants, animals, and kids, doesn't cost very much, and actually works really well!

Oxygen bleach uses oxygen ions to break apart the dirt which means no harmful chemicals are involved at all...and it's inexpensive.  I have a fairly large deck, and it takes about 2 cups of Oxi-Clean to do the whole thing.

To make the solution, mix about 1/2 cup of oxygen bleach with 2 gallons of warm water (if you have a large deck like I do, you may need more than one batch)
Before starting to clean, soak the deck with the hose. I usually do about 20 square feet at a time so that the water doesn't completely dry before I get to cleaning it.
Then use a deck brush to scrub the solution onto the wood. You can see the grime coming off already!
Let it sit for a couple of minutes and then rinse the deck off with the hose. It's really that easy!

If your deck is really dirty (like mine was), there may be a few spots with really tough stains that need a repeat treatment.
This is what my deck looks like now that it's done...a big improvement over where I started.
After all that work, it's time to relax and enjoy the end result.
Wanda @ From House To Home

• Kathaleen

do you think this would work on siding? I have a lot of green algae that needs work, and dogs and chickens to worry about toxic drain off. Thanks

• Debra

Yes, did nearly all my siding & outdoor door faces with stains w/ similar product, soft brush set & hose this fall. Some spots needed more elbow grease, but ex. results!!

• Bos15125275

Would this work on a small flag stone patio ??

• A.h24206130

Will this solution work on cement?

• Dorothea Morrison

Thank you, this is inspiring. I will try this idea. I have irises and lilies, don't want to kill my plants.

• Dena McClinton

the bleach is toxic. I use a mix of hydrogen peroxide and baking soda. I have the same results.

• Hi Dena...You're right that regular bleach is toxic...but I use oxygen bleach which isn't toxic at all. If hydrogen peroxide and baking soda work for you, that's great, too :)