Pallet Board Kitchen Island and Backsplash

$0
1 Day

First I got Pallet board basically for free from a supply place that had the wood in between stacks on pallets. Then I chose 4 different color stains. The walls in the kitchen are a Latte Color with Honey hardwood floors and brown cabinets. I chose Kona, Summer, Oak, Cognac and Golden Mahogany.

I wanted to get rid of the bead board island look. First I stained about 6 pieces in each of the colors and then let them dry 1 coat seemed to be efficient. I did not sand them smooth cause I wanted the rough look. I did the island first.
Before
Before
Before
Wall Color
Wall and Cabinet Color
I removed the trim and then started in the sides of the island first, I figured that would be the best way to approach this. I kept the bead board to use as backing for the wood I figured it would be easier and then I used Liquid Nails (heavy duty). To keep the top row from sliding I had to use finishing nails to keep the boards secure. Then I started cutting random sizes and tried my best to give it a staggered look.
First side finished
The side with the light switch was a little tricky for me because the wood was just a tad bit too wide and I had to try to cut out the corners with a jigsaw so it would fit around the switch plate. It came out a little crooked but since the light switch plate is black I spray painted the bead board in that area black and then blacked out the ends so it would cover up my mistake.
The front took a little more imagination due to the fact that the middle piece of the bead board kept bending back when I would apply pressure or even try to nail the wood to it so I had to build a support behind the bead board and then take it from there.

Since liquid nails did not seem to work best someone suggested Power Grip Ultimate adhesive. I still had to secure the top row with finishing screws because the nails would not seem to work on the front. I made the top row Kona all the way around so this way the finishing screws blended in with the stain.
I cut, glued and staggered and then once finished I framed it out on the ends.
Ends framed out
The back splash was alot easier however, this time my neighbor who has a table saw was nice enough to cut the thinner pieces for me at the bottom instead of me trying to cut a straight line for the length of the wood with a jigsaw. I did not seem to get the staggering I wanted with the back splash on the one end due to all the plugs and switches but it still looks good. At least I think so!  

Finished back splash

Once all the wood was applied I then used Minwax oil based poly for indoor/outdoor to coat the island and the back splash with a Gloss finish. I applied 4 coats to the back splash to make sure it would water proof it and 2 coats on the island

For someone who has never done this before it turned out really great.

• Alye29

Just a suggestion for others that may try this on the backsplash. Start on the bottom and move to the top. The uneven, cut boards will be hidden under top cabinets
  • Debbie Spilsbury

Oops, forgot to ask.....but is this for your own home, DeeJay, or did Yu do this for a friend? I'm always amazed at the labors of love from a loved one to another -- or the selfless act of service just for the joy of giving to a friend -- and since you're a part of the healing and giving art as a Massage Therapist, I just assumed it wasn't solely for you. I'm right, aren't I?
    • Debbie Spilsbury

Not sure what Yu mean by 'the issue with this site', Bernadette. Could Yu be a bit more specific? Thank you!

• Sadie Lynn

How did you manage to get the pallets apart? I tried taking them apart and the wood kept breaking.

• Sandra Frosch

I’m seeing a lot of unstained areas peaking out. I suggest the ends and sides of the pieces should be stained too.

• Jessica

Oh, I LOVE it! Thanks for sharing this gorgeous DIY