New Pics! (1-19-14)

We are working on phase 3 on this home and the bird of paradice has had as many as 24 blooms on it at one time.
AFTER photo now shows a friendlier look. Notice that the maroon Hawaiian Tys are planted closer to the overhang for winter protection.
Lobster claw heliconia has flowers that feel like plastic and last for months. There are over 200 varieties. I use them in my landscapes in protected areas.
A simple liriope in an urn at the end of the driveway is a hardy strong statement.
Blue agave in the background has thorns so a background placement is ideal.
BEFORE: front angle... We removed the old and dead plants first. This bed is ready to have weeds removed, then the new plants placed and the mulch added.
BEFORE: We removed the old and dead plants first
A brand new landscape - 10 minutes old - still has to grow in so keep in mind if you put too many big things it will come back to haunt you years later.
Clean, neat and simple is what we were trying to achieve at this home.

• Betty Perrault

does the lirope plant ever bloom?

@Betty Perrault Yes, it gets small lavender flowers that look somewhat like the muscari that blooms in the spring in some parts of the country, hence it's botanical name, Liriope muscari.

• Elizabeth Poteat

Tell folks new to Fl. and are wanting to plant say vegetables to watch out what type Green Beans they plant. I sent some mountaineer half runner bean seed home with my cousin who does a garden each year and I think he had greens beans all over the neighborhood and I don't think his neighbors thought it was very funny. I won't offer him anymore seed from the mountains of NC so he can't blame me when he gets in trouble with his neighbors.