3D Pop-up Art DIY

Use this old school paper mache technique and create this beautiful 3D art!
Take 1 cup of flour and gradually added some water until I had a pancake batter consistency. I then added 1 tsp of salt to avoid any mold from forming.
Draw on the pattern or drawing you’d like - I decided to go with a coastal theme and draw a jellyfish here.
Hot glue on some pipe cleaner.
I have some intricate details on my design so I added the pipe cleaner to the main outline.
At first, I tried to use some newspaper but that was too thick so I decided to use tissue paper instead. Add it all over the pipe cleaner and when you’re done add a second layer to the top and don't forget the sides.

After I’ve added tissue paper everywhere, I sealed it with a final coat of the paste. I let it dry overnight and it got pretty solid!
To make it even, I spray painted the entire canvas white which made it much easier to paint.
Paint the canvas how you’d like.. here I painted it in blues and purples, concentrating the paint near the crease next to the pipe cleaner and feathering it out. I repeated this process for the darker blues, and purple.
Once I’m happy with he painting, I added black paint on the raised areas. I added more details that I couldn’t add with the pipe cleaner.
I thought it look a bit plain with just the black so my Donald suggested I add some gold and it actually looks amazing.
You can also do a more minimal look . Here I have a sea urchin and I added dots of hot glue since it’s easier than adding some pipe cleaner.
I added black paint to the raised areas and when that was dry, I added some gold leaf.
If you would like the gold to pop a bit more, I would definitely recommend the gold leaf method but I think the gold sharpie works great, too!

I made this on Hometalk Facebook Live and I have some answers to questions asked :)

- Can newspaper be used? Why use the tissue paper and where did you get it?
I felt the newspaper was too thick when I tried to place it over the pipe cleaner. The tissue paper was much thinner and easier to work with. I got it from the dollar tree.

Feel free to message me if you have any questions on how to create this! I love interacting with the HomeTalk Family!

Also, if you're interested in purchasing this (or any of my other pieces) please contact me! I'd love to work with you.

Contact Me:
Instagram - @simplyhandmade
Facebook - SimplyHandmade89
YouTube - SimplyHandmade
Email - SimplyHandmade89@gmail.com

• Canvas  (michael's)
  • Pipe cleaner  (dollar tree)
  • Tissue paper  (dollar tree)

15 DIY Projects That Will Make You Say "WOW!"
13 DIY Projects That Scream Canada
3 Weird Step-by-Step Ways to Decorate Your Plain Tea Towels
15 Clever Repurposing Ideas That Will Add Some Creativity to Your Home
30 Gorgeous Ways To Keep Your Home Organized
31 Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
31 Ways For You To Style Your Garden
15 Ways To Upcycle And Create More Storage At The Same Time
15 Home Improvement DIY Ideas You'll Want To Copy This Month
31 Ways To Get Privacy Inside And Outside Your Home
Nickell Morgan

• Wendy Leung

No question, but just to say I watched ur video & was amazed how easy it was for you to create these designs! I love them--well done & thx for sharing!
    • Pam

Thank you for sharing. You are very talented. Hope to try it myself. The results may not be closes to yours
  • Susan

It looks great. I don't understand however where you used all the paper mâché esp on the sea urchin. Thanks.
  • One Crazy Lady

What sort of paint did you use to go over the white spray paint?