How To Make A Dragonfly Out Of Ceiling Fan Blades...

$16.00

Supplies Needed:

• Spindle
  • Top Fence Post
  • 4 Ceiling Fan Blades
  • Item For The Eyes
  • Item For The Antenna
  • finial for the tail
  • Paint

After seeing a picture of dragonflies made out of ceiling fan blades, I had to make one. I had a box in the attic containing four fan blades. I wanted my dragonfly to look like it was made out of ceiling fan blades, so I didn't cut the blades down. I left the fan blade brackets on. I loved the design, so it was a win win!

I wanted to paint the wicker insert a different color than the outer part of the fan blade. I wrapped the blade in newspaper and cut the wicker section out. While the fan blades were drying, I painted the spindle. I forgot to take a picture. Sometimes I get totally involved, and forget to take pictures!

After the spindle was dry. I drilled a hole on top of the spindle where the head would be attached.

For the dragonfly head, I used a top fence post. I painted it the same color as the dragonfly body. After the fence post was dry, A hole was drilled on top of the fence post for the antenna.

I used two white ceiling light caps that I painted yellow for the eyes. Little screws were used for the pupils.

For the Antenna, I used a lamp shade harp off of a old lamp.  

The fan blade brackets were attached to the spindle.

At the last minute I decided to use a finial for the tail of the dragonfly.

Since I decided to use a finial for the tail, Two inches were cut off of the spindle so the dragonfly wouldn’t be too long in length for the fence that I was mounting it on.  

The finished product! I'm pleased with how it turned out.

• Spindle
  • Top Fence Post
  • 4 Ceiling Fan Blades

15 Home Improvement DIY Ideas You'll Want To Copy This Month
3 Creative Eye Catching Rug Projects That No One Else Has!
3 Gorgeous & Easy Projects to Help You Decorate for Fall
Add A Hint Of Farmhouse Style In Your Home With These Ideas
Make Your Kitchen Beautiful With These 15 Inexpensive Ideas
The Best Nautical Home Decor Ideas To Try Right Now
31 Brilliant Ways To Repurpose Everyday Items Into Perfect Organizers

• Gloria Wygal Menzer
    Gloria Wygal Menzer

My granddaughter made one of these and it only lasted one summer. Used outdoor paint and spray sealer. What kind of paint did you use, and how did you seal it to make it weatherproof.
    • Cathy
      Cathy

I have 2 that are 4 years old now, starting to show a bit of wear. Most of the other 12 or so that I've made don't last more than 1 year. When the weather warms up I plan to make more and possibly use a brush on sealer. I've been using spray on sealer and they just don't last. I like to display mine outside to display and enjoy.

• Sandy
    Sandy

ANY IDEAS FOR MAKING LADY BUGS? THANKS

• Holly Waggoner
    Holly Waggoner

How long should the spindle be?

• Sarah M
      Sarah M

Hello Holly!

I can't remember what spindle size I bought. It all depends on how long you want the body to be. I know I cut several inches off of the spindle so I could attach a finial.

• Theresa Zeth
    Theresa Zeth

Now THAT is cute as a bug!!

I love it!

Finally some productive way to use up those old fan blades!

Thank you for sharing!!

• I love these! I have made about fifty of these but do not use the hardware that comes with the fan blades! I give them all away as gifts. Here are 2 of my red, white and blue ones and one purple one with lots of bling! The photo doesn't do justice! I love to re-purpose, too! Great job on yours! ;-)

• I use cheap spray paint for most of it. I paint all the white areas by hand with good exterior paint . I use masking tape to stripe off the red stripes. After paint dries, I use spray Shellac I buy at Mernard's. Of course, keep in mine, our IL. weather is very hard on them. They may last only a few years. Have fun!