Pallet Wood Vertical Planter

$0

I saw a reclaimed wood living wall at a local garden store the other day and loved the combination of overflowing greenery with the rustic boards on the wall. I figured out a way to recreate the wall... for free... in my own home!
Start by collecting pallets! Rustic is good, but you'll definitely want some solid same-sized boards. If you keep your eye out for these, you'll start to notice them piled up outside lots of various businesses!
Breaking down a pallet can be SUPER easy if you have the right tools... see my video for quick tutorial... I was 7 months pregnant and could manage to do it *easily*!
Once you have a stack of boards, cut them all to size and align them on a pair of scrap 2x4s. Predrill and screw each board in place being careful to keep them nicely lined up. Pay attention to the layout as some boards will be more rustic than others and you may want to stagger these a bit!
Sand, sand and sand. Ideally start with a medium grit and work your way down to something a little gentler. If you can hire this part out... even better! (That's my son- he loves being my assistant... most of the time!)
I had one of these wire shelves on hand, but they're pretty easy to come by at a craft store or big box store like Homegoods or Target. Attach them to the pallet wood with screws or shelf clips. I used some of these coco liners (affiliate link) to contain the soil--> CLICK HERE.
I planted them with flowers and vines that I thought might grow and eventually hang over the edges of the baskets (vinca, sweet potato, petunias, etc.) This perches on our front porch and adds a little bit of rustic charm to the space.
I opted NOT to hang this. It's heavy and I didn't have an obvious wall for it at the time, but I've just finished installing a raised garden, so perhaps... this can fit somewhere over there! To hang it, I would screw in two heavy duty eye hooks and hang those onto lag bolts probably.
A wider view of our front porch. Incidentally... ALL those flowers are still alive. (Which is a miracle!)
Close up shot so you can see how I stuffed that coco liner into the basket and then filled it with potting soil. Those potato vines are already dangling over the edge and feel VERY lush!

21 Small Things You Can Do to Beautify Your Home This Weekend
Upcycle Your Old Clothing Items For These Great Ideas!
31 Gorgeous Homemade Candle Ideas You're Going to Want to Try
3 Gorgeous Decor Projects In The Oh-So-Chic Geometric Style
16 Fun Ways You Can Use Food To Decorate Your Home
30 Jewelry Organizing Ideas That Are Better Than a Jewelry Box
30 Fabulous Wreath Ideas That Will Make Your Neighbors Smile
3 Creative Eye Catching Rug Projects That No One Else Has!
Easy DIY Ideas To Add Some FUN To Your Office Space
3 Gorgeous And Unique Ideas To Display Your Plants
25 Creative Ways You Can Decorate Using Maps
3 Cute Step-by-Step Ideas For Unique Planters
3 Fantastic Step-By-Step Ideas What To Do With Pallets!
Check Out These Wonderful Ways To Decorate Your Plain Mugs
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
At Charlotte's House