Error loading player:
No playable sources found
Alicia W
Alicia W
  • Middletown, PA

Apothecary Chest From Plain Dresser

$40
Advanced

Turn a plain Jane dresser into an apothecary chest. Once all your friends know that you made it, they will want one too!
apothecary chest from plain dresser
apothecary chest from plain dresser
Begin by removing all of the hardware from the dresser then filling the holes with wood filler.
apothecary chest from plain dresser
Remove the drawers and measure the length of each drawer. If you are adding three false fronts on to each drawer, divide your measurement by 3 to determine how large each false front will be.
(The cinder block is inside my drawer because I did all of my work on the floor and needed stability. This is not necessary if you have a work area where you can clamp your drawers safely)
apothecary chest from plain dresser
Use a straight bit in your router.
You will need to make a guide for your router so your grooves are straight.
Determine the distance between the bit and the edge of the router plate.
apothecary chest from plain dresser
Place a piece of board on the front of the dresser and clamp it secure.
Place your router on the drawer front to determine the depth of your bit and adjust accordingly. I used a 5/8" bit.
apothecary chest from plain dresser
Before you begin to router, measure again and again - use the old adage, measure twice, cut once.
Using the piece of wood as your guide, router two grooves into the drawer front. You will have to move your guide with each groove you make.
(This was the first time I used a router so I was very nervous. I watch a few YouTube videos first then practiced on a piece of scrap wood before making any cuts to my dresser. Once you've got the hang of how to use the router, you'll be ready to go.)
apothecary chest from plain dresser
Once all of your drawer fronts are routed, sand the entire dresser including the drawers.
Wipe everything with a mild soap and water.
Allow to dry.
apothecary chest from plain dresser
Prime and paint the entire dresser including the drawer fronts as you like.
I did not paint the top of my dresser. Instead I chose to stain it a dark walnut.
apothecary chest from plain dresser
When the paint and stain are dry, put a light coating of wax or sealant on the entire dresser and drawer fronts.
apothecary chest from plain dresser
To determine where the hardware should be placed on the drawer fronts, make a guide.
Cut the guide the size of the false fronts and find the center.
Lay your hardware on top of the guide to determine where the nail holes will be made.
Lay your guide on each false front and using the guide, mark where the nail holes will be.
apothecary chest from plain dresser
Pilot holes do not have to be drilled as the nails are very tiny and will easily be able to be screwed into the wood.
apothecary chest from plain dresser
Your new apothecary chest is not ready for you to enjoy and be the envy of everyone!
Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.
Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page. Prices updated as of September 16, 2018 11:18 PM - More info

• Hdi28397526

Can you tell me dimensions of the pulls you used? Thanks!

• Kim Westwood

Wow!! Love it so much now I need to find a chest of drawers. Where would you get the trimmings?? Thanks

• Car Rey

This is a great project but I am concerned about how these drawers open. Are the small pulls strong enough?

• Lil14894967

Love it, you did a great job. I have a dresser that will work for this. I have had it for about four years and did a white wash on it but just not happy with it. I am going to start on it tomorrow.

Thank you so much for sharing your project.

ChrisA

• Pamela

Nice job , I love the look !!!!