Amazing Table Upcycle With Wallpaper

$30

My friend Wendy's dining table was looking battered and in need of some love. It even had a great big dirty iron mark on it. The table was the focal point of her lounge dinner and used not just for eating at, but her and her boys also did use the table for art and crafts.

amazing table upcycle with wallpaper
Wendy's decor style was mid-century modern so she wanted to revamp the table with something to fit that decor.

She also wanted to something bright and cheery. That's when we decided to wallpaper it.
amazing table upcycle with wallpaper
When you have decided what wallpaper to use. You have to think carefully how the wallpaper pattern will match up.

Wendy's table was more than one roll of wallpaper wide. 2 widths of wallpaper would have been enough to cover the table. But that would look odd.
amazing table upcycle with wallpaper
We decided to use 3 strips of wallpaper one central full width and then 2 half widths either side. This worked best with the pattern we had chosen.
amazing table upcycle with wallpaper
Measure your 3 strips of wallpaper carefully. I found the most accurate and best way to cut the wallpaper was with a rotary cutter and mat like this one.
amazing table upcycle with wallpaper
Using a brush paste your 3 strips of wallpaper with wallpaper paste and then fold and put to one side whilst you paste the table.
amazing table upcycle with wallpaper
Paste the table top with wallpaper paste, and leave for a couple of minutes.
amazing table upcycle with wallpaper
Whilst the paste is still tacky carefully lay your middle strip of wallpaper onto the table top. Using a wallpaper smoothing brush carefully brush out any air bubbles.
amazing table upcycle with wallpaper
Then repeat with the wallpaper strips either side. Carefully match up the pattern and trim any excess.

We let our wallpaper go over the side edges of the table and wrap underneath slightly for a neater look.
amazing table upcycle with wallpaper
Even though the wallpaper is wipeable we applied 2 coats of varnish to provide extra protection from daily wear and tear.
amazing table upcycle with wallpaper
I think the table looks fantastic in Wendy's living room. The Romo wallpaper she has chosen matches her decor really well. Her table certainly looks much better than before.

Table tops aren't the only things we have wallpapered you should check out the wallpapered kitchen backsplash we also did.

Claire at Pillarboxblue

• MMM

Why the three strips instead of just two? How would it look different? You still are matching patterns right? Just a little confused because I'm lazy and think two would be easier than three. :)

• MMM

Claire - that makes sense. Yes, a line down the middle would be harder to camouflage. :)

It's a fun table!

• Dxfrye

So how many rolls of wallpaper did you actually use?

• Jacqui

What's the name of the wallpaper....I love it

• Wilma

OMG ty ty ty!!! Have a old small table for my camper... Very sturdy wood and didn't want to toss it. This idea is perfect for my table... kid friendly 😉😘 You ladies are so gifted... love your ideas.

• Sandra Allen
    3 hours ago

I might do mine with a strip of country fabric and a sunflower. Or I might crochet some chain but this is going on my "to do" list! Very cute!