Getting Creative & Saving Money on Hanging Baskets

$10-30
40-60 Minutes

Creative plant combinations and ways to stretch your money when you put together your own hanging baskets and container plantings.
Last year I ran out of money before I had a chance to fill the last of my hanging baskets and containers. The baskets on the back fence sat empty and forlorn all summer. Determined to better this year, I decided to get creative and find ways to stretch my money.
If I had a greenhouse, grow lights or even a bright window, I might try growing my own annuals, but I have none of these things. The one decent window ledge in our house is already crammed with houseplants. 
In many of the gardens I visited last summer, I saw container plantings in which houseplants had been used to great effect.
Why not let some of my houseplants do double-duty and spend the summer outdoors? Then in the fall, I can bring them back inside or I can take cuttings.
A few logistics. I find water can run right through some coconut liners, so I usually cut an extra piece of liner (you can buy a roll of coconut liner at most garden centres) and place it at the bottom of my wire baskets before I fill them with potting soil. 

To fill my hanging baskets, I used this moisture control potting mix which I hope will see my plants through the dry days of mid-summer. This potting mix feeds the plants as well. If you are using a regular potting mix, it a good idea to add a little slow release fertilizer to the soil before planting.
Here's my first hanging basket using a mix of houseplants I had on hand with a few annuals I purchased:
1. Fuchsia 2. Boston Fern, Nephrolepis 'Fluffy Ruffles'  3. Variegated Ivy 4. Annual Lobelia 5. Trailing green vine (sorry couldn't find a name for this one)

If you don't have any houseplants, why not invest in some now? Clean them up in the fall and bring them indoors for the winter. Then next spring use those same houseplants to help fill your containers and hanging baskets.
As well as using houseplants, I decided to be creative and use herbs. I chose mostly Mediterranean herbs that can take a bit of heat and even a little drought.
1. Sage, Salvia Officinalis  2. Rue, Ruta graveolens 3. Tricolor Sage, Salvia Officinalis 'Tricolor'  4. Silver Thyme, Thymus vulgaris 5. Golden Lemon Thyme, Thymus x citriodorus 6. Creeping Rosemary, Rosmarinus prostrates (not shown)

Here's some info on the various herbs I used:

Tricolor Sage, Salvia Officinalis 'Tricolor' has aromatic purplish-grey-green and cream variegated foliage that is ornamental and flavourful. Plant it in well-drained soil. Full sun. Height: 60-80 cm (24-32 inches), Spread: 45-60 cm (18-24 inches) USDA zones: 4-9.

Silver Thyme, Thymus vulgaris has grey-green leaves that are edged in creamy-white. Thyme likes poor soil and good drainage. Allow the soil to dry out between waterings. Full sun. Height: 15-30 cm (6-12 inches), Spread: 30-35 cm (12-14 inches) USDA zones:4-9.

Rue, Ruta graveolens has yellow cup-shaped flowers in summer and fern-like foliage. In the past, it was used for medicinal reasons, but is rarely grown these days. I have read that it repels Japanese Beetles (interesting!). Full sun. Height: 80-90 cm (36 inches), Spread: 40-45 cm (16-18 inches) USDA zones: 4-9.

Golden Lemon Thyme, Thymus x citriodorus has green leaves edged in creamy-yellow. The foliage has a lemony taste. Thyme likes poor soil and good drainage. Allow the soil to dry out between waterings. Full sun. Height: 15-30 cm (6-12 inches), Spread: 30-35 cm (12-14 inches) USDA zones: 4-9.

Creeping Rosemary, Rosmarinus prostratus is a low-growing form of rosemary that has little pale-blue flowers. It is easy to grow in poor, well-drained soil. Allow the soil to dry out between waterings. Full sun. Height: 15 cm (6 inches), Spread: 45-60 cm (18-24 inches) USDA zones:8-11.
There are lots of shady pockets in my backyard. Ferns and ivy seemed like the perfect solution for another of my baskets. To add a little color, I used a sky-blue Lobelia.
This metal bucket was a dollar store find. A few holes for drainage was all it needed. The wicker furniture in the backyard has red seat cushions, so I thought the bucket might look nice planted with red and white petunias.
I have a number of vintage watering cans, which I use to water areas of the garden that the hose doesn't reach. I also have a few decorative ones. One such watering can has an open top making it the perfect vessel for a container planting.

I punched a few holes in the bottom forever committing the watering can to a new life as a container. Then I used 'Hula Pastel Pink' Calibrachoa, white 'Techno Heat Lobelia' and purple petunias to fill it.
The metal hangers with the decorative bird are from Walmart.
To water the plants I take the watering can down from its hook. I place it on the ground and do my watering. When I see the water running out the drainage holes in the bottom I know that even the bottom of the soil in the watering can has received moisture. Then I hang it back on the hook.
1. Annual Lobelia 2. Asparagus Fern, Asparagus retrofractus 3. Boston Fern, Nephrolepis 'Fluffy Ruffles'  4. Button Fern, Nephrolepis cordifolia 5. Blue Star Fern, Phlebodium aureum mandaianum 6. Variegated ivy, Hedera helix
Looking for more ideas? Click the link at the bottom of the post.

Three Dogs in a Garden

• Bar15576970

A comment you should be so proud. They are beautiful an I just love flowers.
  • Bec17374215

What plant are good for keeping mosquitoes away?
  • Tomstiles61

Does the cayenne pepper trick work for moles?

• Laurie

Since moles spend most of their time underground, I don’t see how cayenne would affect them much. I used to have moles in my lawn until I eliminated their food source, grubs. You can get grub-killing chemicals in sprays that attach to your hose, or in fertilizer for use in spreaders. No food = no reason to stay!

• Michelle Martinez

This is my first time using the hanging basket, and I lined the coconut liner with a plastic bag & poked holes. I placed on top of a bucket & some water drips out. The problem is I live on a second floor condo with a wooden porch. What can I do to actually hang my baskets w/o my downstairs neighbor getting the spillage? Is there some sort of "capture" system?

• Leslie

Hi Michelle, 1. you can get a rigid planter drip dish carefully drill 3 holes in the edge and hang with wire or chain or use a glue such as E-6000 or a two part Epoxy glue and attach loops of wire or chain to side of drip tray and then hang from bottom of basket. If you use either wire or chain you have to buy S hooks or make them for attaching. Problem is you will still have to water in a bucket let it drip into same bucket if it is big enough to sit on top and then add the made drip tray when hanging. You can also paint the drip tray to match your hanging basket. 2. Make a heavy duty plastic lining for the inside of the coco nut fiber part and not make holes. This you will have to be very careful when watering so not to over water. 3. Get a plastic bowl large enough to fit the outside of the wire hanger. Drill holes carefully into the plastic or get a heavy duty outside glue like E-6000 and add three wire links to the side of the plastic bowl and then get hooks (or make) to attach to the wire hooks and the wire hanging basket. You can then water the plant it will drip through the fiber and end up in the bowl. If not too much water in the bowl you can let that wick into the bottom of the hanger. If too much overflow you empty. Good luck.

• Alice

A great idea but even the few annuals you used will cost money, especially the Calibrachoas which cost $6.00 each where I live.

• To help retain moisture in hanging baskets you can place an opened disposable diaper in the bottom under the soil or cut it up into pieces. The gel will absorb excess water and keep the soil moist. Puppy training pads or anything with the absorbent gel will work. I don't know that it's harmful, but I don't use this with my edible plants. I've also put old dish sponges in the soil (either whole or cut up, depending on container size). This is also a great way to use less soil. I've even used some foam filling from an old bean bag chair I was throwing out. Just mix in with the soil and it helps hold moisture. Foam packing peanuts in the bottom of a container will help with drainage also, without adding weight like rocks or gravel.