Old Metal File Cabinet Makeover

$30

Old Metal File Cabinet turned into Trash Bin Holder
This is a before picture of the old file cabinet.
First I cleaned it, then I painted it with my homemade Chalk Paint. 2 coats was enough for me. After, I sealed with Polycrylic.
For the bottom, I added casters into a 3" wood strip, than a used liquid nail + some screws to attach into file cabinet. 
For the top, I was going to use wood, but at Home depot there was some FREE MDF , oh yeah! I painted the MDF also with my homemade chalk paint, then I sealed it with 2 coasts of Polycrylic.
I also purchased 2 new trash bins at Target ( its a perfect fit for the drawer) Named: Curver, Mistral Pivot Lid - 7 gallons.
Voila!

• Melody

Good idea, but don't you have to reach all the way to the bottom to pull the trash bin out ? This is not practical, but it might work for some and look nice in an office .

• Tracey Jackson

I have seen others where they take out top drawer, remove the bottom. Put it back in and somehow attach top to bottom drawer. Then you have a completely closed in garbage bin. And it slides out with either handle. Its completely closed in for those w animals/little ones who may pick at trash. In that recycle they also replaced hardware to fit your style. I personally want to do that recycle, my dog is a trash picker.

• Jeannine

What is MDF?

• Jewellmartin

Medium grade plywood works the same. Sanding and caulking can give nice smooth edges.

• Susan Morris

You mentioned Home Made Chalk Paint.... could you share the recipe?

• Mimi

Love your idea and your presentation! I am thinking for me this would solve my recycle bin problem...neat, compact, and convenient. I could label the lids of the bins, "Plastic" and "Paper." Thank you so very much!

• Clergylady

Nice recycle idea!