Old Metal File Cabinet Makeover

$30

Old Metal File Cabinet turned into Trash Bin Holder
This is a before picture of the old file cabinet.
First I cleaned it, then I painted it with my homemade Chalk Paint. 2 coats was enough for me. After, I sealed with Polycrylic.
For the bottom, I added casters into a 3" wood strip, than a used liquid nail + some screws to attach into file cabinet. 
For the top, I was going to use wood, but at Home depot there was some FREE MDF , oh yeah! I painted the MDF also with my homemade chalk paint, then I sealed it with 2 coasts of Polycrylic.
I also purchased 2 new trash bins at Target ( its a perfect fit for the drawer) Named: Curver, Mistral Pivot Lid - 7 gallons.
Voila!

3 Gorgeous Ideas to Use Photo Frames - and Not for Pictures!
23 Adorable Ways You Can Make Your Own Coasters
12 Container Garden Ideas to Kick Off Spring
Instantly Upgrade Your Living Space With These Amazing DIY Ideas
Use Your Old Corks For These 25 Clever Ideas
30 Stylish Update Ideas You'll Want To Use For Your Bedroom
3 Gorgeous Decor Projects In The Oh-So-Chic Geometric Style

• Melody
    Melody

Good idea, but don't you have to reach all the way to the bottom to pull the trash bin out ? This is not practical, but it might work for some and look nice in an office .

• Tracey Jackson
      Tracey Jackson

I have seen others where they take out top drawer, remove the bottom. Put it back in and somehow attach top to bottom drawer. Then you have a completely closed in garbage bin. And it slides out with either handle. Its completely closed in for those w animals/little ones who may pick at trash. In that recycle they also replaced hardware to fit your style. I personally want to do that recycle, my dog is a trash picker.

• Jeannine
    Jeannine

What is MDF?

• Jewellmartin
      Jewellmartin

Medium grade plywood works the same. Sanding and caulking can give nice smooth edges.

• Susan Morris
    Susan Morris

You mentioned Home Made Chalk Paint.... could you share the recipe?

• Mimi
    Mimi

Love your idea and your presentation! I am thinking for me this would solve my recycle bin problem...neat, compact, and convenient. I could label the lids of the bins, "Plastic" and "Paper." Thank you so very much!

• Clergylady
    Clergylady

Nice recycle idea!