DIY Sharpie Backsplash

$46

We finally replaced our last appliance! It all started with replacing our old yellowing refrigerator about 3 years ago with a sparkling new stainless steel refrigerator. Which as followed by an over-the-stove microwave, dishwasher and wine fridge. With most of the appliance replacements, there have been some adjustments that needed to be made for one reason or another. It was no different when we replaced the stove/range. Let me show you the problem (with some terrible and dark iPhone pics)...
Old stove/range:
Right after the new stove/range was installed:
That "backsplash" was not going to cut it for me for the next 6+ months until we can install a proper one.  Unfortunately, the counter top and backsplash improvements keep getting put off for other, more necessary updates to our home.  And it looks like they will continue to get put off until our deck is replaced.  So I have to live with our current countertop and lack of backsplash for a bit longer.  Our new stove/range does not have a back panel like the old one so you can see where I did not paint behind the stove and I no longer have that paint and have no clue what the color was.  My solution?  A sharpie backsplash.

My first idea was to get some peel and stick wall paper that I can wipe off when it got dirty.  That turned into a huge fail when it would not stick to the textured wall.  So back to the drawing board I went.  I had some white paint on hand so I painted the backsplash area white.  Then I remembered all the bloggers that used Sharpies to draw designs on their walls to look like wallpaper and I thought I would give that a try.  

Supplies:
-Sharpie markers (I had a few silver paint Sharpies already on hand but they are about $5 for a pack of 2)
-White paint (I just use the pure white paint and primer combo at Home depot which I already had on hand but a large can costs about $33)
-sealer (I like Minwax clear Polycrylic which I already had but a small can will cost you about 8
$8.50)
-paint brush and roller
-level

First, you will paint the backsplash white and allow that to dry. I did paint 2 coats of the white.
Next, use your level to draw horizontal lines.  Initially, I was going to draw a subway tile backsplash.  However, once I had the horizontal lines up, I kind of liked the look.  I thought it looked a little like skinny lap so I opted to leave it as is.  Plus, my Sharpies were running dry and I didn't know if I would have enough for all the vertical lines I was going to need to draw.  But really, I was feeling lazy and didn't want to draw anymore lines;).  
Finally, I painted over the top with Minwax clear Polycrylic so I can easily wipe off any food splatters.

And here is my Sharpie backsplash:
I chose to use the grey paint Sharpie over the standard black Sharpies that I had on hand because I thought the black would be too much contrast.  The ultimate goal is to install a white subway tile backsplash with grey grout so I wanted to see if I would like that look next to my cabinets.
And I do!
This will hold me over until we can get our countertop and backsplash installed later this year (I hope!).

Tara Marie

• Sandy

I have z brick on my backsplash now which will have to be removed. It was put on with a product that is similar to cement. Will I have to sand the backsplash and have it be a smooth surface before I can paint it? Thank you.

• Sandy

You should sand it before you paint it. Once the z brick is removed the surface is rough and it won’t look good if you don’t. When we removed ours, we had cupboards installed over that area and we had to sand it so the cupboards would be flush. Really wasn’t a hard job, but messy because of the dust.

• Sthomas-1

What tip did you use on your oil based markers? Fine ? Medium?

• Savi

Love the sharpie idea it came out beautifully. I might try this in my rental apartment. But where did you get the storage boxes with the clear lids from. The one on your counter

• Steve

I love this idea! Thanks, now to show the wife and see how she feels about it. I'm sure she'll agree with me and want to do it. Forget the vertical lines, it looks nice without them.

• Brittney Hash

It looks so good, you can wait a year+ to get around to Subway tile. Looks great, no one will know it was a cheap easy sharpie fix!