Bathroom Sink Makeover

$70
2.5 Hours

My husband and I are in the process of renovating a 40 year old cabin. We are trying to save/repurpose as much as we can. Keeping that in mind, I was not about to replace the bathroom sink/vanity. Even though it was ugly!
Old bathroom sink - I started by painting the base with charcoal chalk paint and a wax finish. Then I gave the original knobs a quick coat of a pewter rustoleum.
I removed the formica top, which had been glued to a wood base. I was careful not damage the wood. Mostly I used a razor blade and scraper. Wear eye protection because some of the tiny pieces were really flying around.
I chose these small circular white procelan tiles because I don't have a wet saw and only picked up on of the small procelan tile cutters, which worked great and was only $17 at home depot. ( I will definitely be using it again )
These tiles come in 12 x 12 inch sheet, so the spacing is not an issue. I applied tile adhesive to the wood, then placed the sheets of tile on, which had been pre - cut to fit around the sink. Then I used my tile cuter to make half circles which go around the sink and edges. The sides were just as easy, but a little more difficult once it was time to do the grout. In the end, I mixed the grout slightly thicker for the sides. I am using subway tiles for my kithcen back splash, so I thought it was a good way to tie everything together for the edging on the wall. After the grout had cured for a few days, I covered it with polyurathane to protect the rounded grout edges.
I am so happy with the updated sink. Easy and affordable!

• Tiles  (lowe's)
  • Grout  (lowe's)
  • Tlie cutter  (home depot)

Flawless Chaos

• O.shag

How long would the sink be out of commission? We only have the one bathroom!
  • Kek7111609

Beautiful make over!!

• Chris Niblack

Is it a smooth surface ? Because it looks like there is space between the tiles and that water and crud would get in there. Did it come with space between tiles and you fixed it or was it always a smooth surface or what ? Because anything but a smooth surface would be a nightmare.
    • Flawless Chaos

The tiles come on sheets that already have them correctly spaced. The grout fills in the spaces and makes the surface level. So far so good on keeping it clean.