Asked on Jun 7, 2017

Privacy ideas: neighbor's window that looks directly into my backyard

TaniaLucyJasijo
+13

Their house is only about 12 feet away from mine. The side garage window sits about 5 ft from the ground. I can't afford fencing right now. The kids are nosy and disrespectful, when I am out gardening. I need something at least 7 ft tall . Any suggestions?
  • Terry Karr
    Terry Karr

hang a tarp to look like outdoors curtains. Use PVC pipe as rod .
  • Jennifer | CrazyDiyMom
    Jennifer | CrazyDiyMom

Can you construct a mini wall or walls with some lattice work? Or do you have an area that you could hang curtains from? Maybe you could put 4x4 posts into the ground or in a pot with concrete and attach lattice work from post to post? If you could share a picture of the area maybe you could get some more ideas from fellow hometalkers.
  • Rebecca Peterson
    Rebecca Peterson

Home Depot sells Bamboo Rod Fencing starting at $20+. Easy to install and looks great.
  • Gma Kirk
    Gma Kirk

You could put up a sun sail, having the posts on the neighbor side just below the level of the bottom of their window, and higher on your side. It will have the added advantages of providing a nice shady spot for a bench or swing, and is easily taken down or relocated when/if you decide on fencing. I had neighbors who put in an above ground pool & deck that was as tall as our privacy fence so I get the annoyance of no privacy. I planted a curly willow which is now two stories tall as a long term fix.
  • Inetia
    Inetia

Check these out.

, Privacy planters, Privacy sitting nook
  • Vicki Williams
    Vicki Williams

Thx for your input...
  • Vicki Williams
    Vicki Williams

Thank you for all those wonderful ideas. I will give them a try!
  • Sierra
    Sierra

Nosey neighbor constantly peers out the 3 Windows pictured, our fence is at the legal height is there any way to block her view legally from our side of the fence?
    , Nosey neighbor constantly peers out the 3 Windows pictured our fence is at the legal height is there any way to block her view legally from our side of the fence
  • Judy
    Judy

grow a border mixture of trees and shrubs along the fence. Add a pergola and grow vines such as Ivy, jasmine.
  • Jasijo
    Jasijo

Does anybody have any privacy solutions for a house that sits atop a hill behind my house?

Their windows peer directly into my backyard.

I've racked my brain, and I've relentlessly searched the internet, but maybe I'm missing something. If anybody has any ideas, please let me know! I'll attach a picture.

• Jasijo
    Jasijo

I'm not certain that I correctly attached the picture. If so, here it is once more.

Maybe...

• Jasijo
      Jasijo

I planted a fast-growing maple tree, but I'm looking for immediate solutions. Thanks a bunch!

• Lucy
    Lucy

You posted sometime ago and I wanted to share what we had to do to block the house behind us.

We search on Google and found some ideas that we made it fit to our situation. We hired someone to installed 2x2 post cemented to the ground. We then found an used Industrial Sewing machine and made some sails to attached to the posts. The job is not finished yet, but we do have enough cover where we need it right now. We have a window on the left side from the other neighbor that looks into the pool and we want to cover that also. That window is from his attic vent. Usually there is a vent style opening to air the attic and not a window like he has. Also, it is much higher since is in the top of his second story home. I was thinking about a Sail held by Flag posts that when needed can come down just like a flag. Tall Boats have them so we just have to continue in the creative mode until we get what we need. Privacy is priceless.

• Tania
    Tania

I have the same issue.