Colleen@lifeonkayderosscreek
Colleen@lifeonkayderosscreek
  • Ballston Spa, NY

Antique Trunk Makeover - Great for Storage

$25

I found this trunk at the Salvation Army for $20. It’s incredibly solid but, as you can see, in really rough shape. I hesitated for a minute on whether or not to get it…LOL, no I didn’t. Who doesn’t need more storage, am I right?? Plus, I love a challenge.

First things first, it needed a really good cleaning. I wiped the whole thing down, inside and out with half bleach and half water. Unfortunately, that didn’t get rid of the smell totally. I threw in the baking soda and let that sit for a few hours in the sun. That worked pretty well but after I cleaned out the baking soda I gave it a good spray of half water and half vinegar. That did the trick.
antique trunk makeover great for storage
First things first, it needed a really good cleaning. I wiped the whole thing down, inside and out with half bleach and half water. Unfortunately, that didn’t get rid of the smell totally. I threw in the baking soda and let that sit for a few hours in the sun.  That worked pretty well but after I cleaned out the baking soda I gave it a good spray of half water and half vinegar. That did the trick.
The outside of the trunk had a lot of wholes and divots in it. I filled them in with a lot of spackle. I used a putty knife to smooth it out. It took a few coats with sanding in between each to get it smooth.
Once I had it all sanded and wiped down, it was on to paint. I used homemade chalk paint with plaster of Paris mixed with Creamy White paint. It took three coats to really cover.
I really wanted to line the inside but didn’t want to spend a ton of money so I picked up this shelf liner at the dollar store. I love the color! It’s so clean and happy :).
Blogger error here. I didn’t take any pic’s of installing this. I basically opened up the roll and cut it to length with scissors and then placed it inside. I lined it up, bent it along the side I was working on, creased it nd was able to use an X-acto knife to cut along the edge. I removed the handles on the ends to get it smooth on the inside.  Then we added bun feet to give it a bit of height.
Here’s how it came out. I’m using it in my Master Bedroom Closet for additional linen storage. We recently did a whole closet makeover which you can see on the blog.
For more information on this project and more like it, visit my blog at  http://mylifeonkayderosscreek.com or on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/lifeonkayderosscreek/.

• Chalk paint  (Homemade)
  • Drawer Liner  (The Dollar Store)
  • Spackle  (Home Depot)
Colleen@lifeonkayderosscreek

• Kim Vander Ploeg

Love it! Where did you get the pillows?
    • Jewellmartin

I've found a great source for pillow covers in all the trending colors and styles. It's wish.com and it's online, but everything comes from China, so it can take a few weeks sometimes. But very cheap prices and good quality. All metric. Best wishes 😇
  • Sue

Homemade chalk paint, how?

• Beth Harrison

What type of glue do you add to make the above paint mixture Gesso?
  • Smythy0539

The smell you said the trunk had, was it a musty smell? I have a cedar trunk that I want to redo but not sure I can get that musty smell out. Do you know if sanding the inside will release new cedar smell after I try cleaning it like you did? Love your project and it has inspired me to try mine.
    • Lindsay Hardy Camp

Crumpled up newspaper and/or tea bags (not used) is how I got the musty smell out of mine years ago. I'm sure there are better methods now, but if nothing else has worked, can't hurt to have more ideas.