Linda Crandall
Linda Crandall
  • Hometalker
  • Chandler, AZ
Asked on Jun 7, 2017

Which HI's can I DIY, and which HI's should be left to professional?

Gle15179532TammyLinda Sikut


DIY projects are all the rave right now. But do we really understand what we as homeowners should take on and when to hire a professional? Home improvements can be tricky - opening walls, installing electrical, plumbing, tile, etc. How do we as homeowners know what we should and should not do if your a new homeowner?
5 answers
  • Lora
    on Jun 7, 2017

    We've done a lot ourselves, but we usually hire out the plumbing and electrical as you want these things to be to code.

  • Hope Williams
    on Jun 8, 2017

    The best rule of thumb is this; knowledge. If you have done your research, tried it small scale, and YouTube -d it to death, then got for it DIY. If one is not willing to invest the time to learn to do it properly, (homework), then call a professional from the get go.
    You spend more money when they have to figure out what's is wrong, rip it out and fix what was wrong. It's as if the professional would be starting the project from scratch anyway.
    Its like studying for a test, if you study, get a great result. It no study's, one gets a crappy result!
    For the record, I hire plumbers, and concrete professionals.

  • Linda Sikut
    on Jun 9, 2017

    I agree with most of what has been said, but there is one more angle to consider. That is the town, city, county, or state codes in your area. There certain things that MUST be done by a licensed, registered (paid the fee) professional in some area, so just be aware of that as well.

  • Tammy
    on Jun 11, 2017

    I always start by googling 'what I wish I knew before I ....'. If you simply look up things you want to do you usually only get the positive results or those that are from people who know what they are doing. This way you get a more rounded answer. Than I go to YouTube from which I have learned a lot (including how to fix a washer by myself). If after these investigations it still seems beyond my comfort level I call someone.

  • Gle15179532
    on Jun 18, 2017

    Plumbing and Electrical things should always be done by Licensed, Registered and You can also check the Head Office to check if they are really
    Registered. Best Wishes.

Your comment...