Burlap Garden Flag for Summer

$10

This burlap garden flag for summer can be made in just minutes. I have been making several garden flags with this same technique over the past year or so and they are holding up beautifully! I love it when an easy project also works well!
Start by cutting two pieces of burlap to the exact same size.  If you have a garden flag already, cut them to about the same size as an existing one.  Otherwise, estimate what will look good on the hanger that you have.  Protect your work surface then paint one piece of burlap as shown above.  I find that the sponge brushes work best with burlap.
Allow to dry completely then mask off for your stripes.  I used painter’s tape as shown above.  Use a few small pieces of tape to space your stripes.
Use white paint and a sponge brush to paint the stripes and allow to dry.
In the meantime, print out a star shape from your computer. 
Remove the tape once your stripes are dry.  Cut out the star from the paper.  Use a Sharpie to trace onto your flag.
Fill in with white paint using a paint brush.
Then repeat two more times.
Allow to dry before sewing.  Sew the painted burlap piece to the one that you cut and did not paint.  Remember to leave a place where you do not sew that is large enough to insert your flag hanger. Then sew all the way around the other areas using a zig zag stitch.
Your burlap garden flag is ready to hang outside!  Enjoy this touch of Americana in your garden this summer!

Angie CountryChicCottage

• Tammy Talbott

Why do you put the plain burlap on the back? Where my flag our I can see both sides, does the paint not show through on the back? Couldn't you just make the painted piece a little longer and just fold it over to make the loop for your hanger? Sorry for all the questions, I really like this and want to make some, just really want to know if I need to add the piece on the back.
    • Angie CountryChicCottage

If it shows from both sides, paint two pieces the same and sew them back to back. I really just wanted a plain finished side on the back because I put it against a wall!
  • Margaret Lyons Conyers

How does this hold up in the rain. Do you coat it with a clear finish?