Jenni Ingram
Jenni Ingram
  • Wexford, PA

How to Build Your Own Interior Barndoor

$150

Interior barn doors are a great addition to a home anywhere they will fit, especially in a spot like a closet or an office! There are so many different styles and options too, the possibilities are endless. I've had multiple requests for custom built barn doors lately, so I thought I'd take you along in the process and teach you how to build one!
how to build your own interior barndoor
This barn door was going beachy - white and simple.  My client had just remodeled her bathroom with a beachy theme and wanted a barn door to separate her bathroom and closet.  We picked a design and I got to work. Since we were going white, I chose pre-primed lumber to save a few coats of paint.
how to build your own interior barndoor
Once you have your measurements, lay out your boards and attach with a a bead of glue between each board.  Then clamp it and let it dry.  (I had to glue and clamp two separate sections since my clamps weren't long enough.) You can get my entire list of supplies and products, including the hardware & hanging system I used, in my full blog post here.
how to build your own interior barndoor
Once your sections are dry, lay them together and add your cross beams in whatever pattern you like - attach with glue and nails.  This is the single panel door, but you can add cross panels or sections to your hearts desire.
how to build your own interior barndoor
Once it was all dry I painted it with white paint - and since it was already primed it only took one coat! 
how to build your own interior barndoor
The hardware is the most expensive part of the whole deal. I chose this handle. The stainless matched the hardware in the beachy bathroom just perfectly.
how to build your own interior barndoor
See, not as hard as you thought, right?  I have another custom one coming soon with a whole different look. Can't wait to get started on it! Follow my blog to see this next barndoor project and more DIY tips!

Thanks for stopping by!!
Jenni Ingram

• Pat pacdits

Very nice. Can you tell me what size wood you used and the measurements for this door

• Carol Cole

I love it. Do u know if this can be done with a hollow door.

• Jim Cox

Carol: How about vinyl plank flooring? You could glue it to the hollow door