DIY Custom Wooden Drawer Organizers

$40

Hi, I'm Christene from the blog Keys to Inspiration. My blog is all about helping you discover creative, simple, and affordable ways to design a home you love!

Today I want to share my latest home DIY project - our custom wooden drawer organizers. One of my passions is DIYing things for our home and teaching others how to DIY too! Even if you don't think you're a DIY person, I can show you how easy it is to

diy custom wooden drawer organizers
First, empty out your drawer and start organizing the items. Figure out which items actually belong in the drawer and start grouping them by type.
diy custom wooden drawer organizers
Once you have an idea of what will go into the drawer, start placing the items by type into the drawer to get an idea of how you want them to be organized. This will give you an outline of the compartments for your item and will help you figure out where your wooden dividers will go.
diy custom wooden drawer organizers
Next, measure around all of the items you placed in the drawer to figure out how big each compartment will be. We found that the best way to do this was to measure the largest item in that compartment and add some additional space around that item. We also took into account the thickness of the boards that we would be using for the dividers (1/4"). Use a piece of paper to draw the dividers and write down your measurements as you go. Use a piece of paper to draw the dividers and write down your measurements as you go.
diy custom wooden drawer organizers
Once you have a plan sketched out on a piece of paper for your dividers, it's time to cut out all of the pieces.

Before we started cutting, we first made a cut list. A cut list is basically just what it sounds like - a list of all the sized pieces that you need to cut. When making a cut list, be sure to write down the largest pieces first and then the small pieces after. That way when you are cutting, you don't run out of wood.

To cut our wood pieces, we used our miter saw. But since the wood for this project is relatively thin, you could also just use a handsaw. This is a great, and more budget-friendly option if you don't have a miter saw. We use ours all the time for smaller projects.

To see exactly how we cut and measured the pieces, read the full blog post by clicking on the link at the end of this post.
diy custom wooden drawer organizers
After all of the pieces were cut out, we brought everything into the kitchen and dry-fit them into the drawer.

We used a pencil to mark all of the places where a board intersected another board. That way we could assemble the pieces outside of the drawer and would know where to put the glue.

Here's the dry fit of the silverware drawer:
diy custom wooden drawer organizers
Once we had a layout we liked and all the pencil marks where the boards intersected each other, we started creating the compartments.

Using our sketch from before and the pencil markings as a reference, we started attaching the boards together using {affiliate} Loctite glue.
diy custom wooden drawer organizers
This {affiliate} square tool was perfect for keeping the pieces at right angles while gluing them together.
diy custom wooden drawer organizers
We let each piece dry for a few minutes so that it wouldn’t fall apart. Then we moved the compartments into the drawer and used the Loctite glue again to attach the compartments to the sides of each drawer.
diy custom wooden drawer organizers
Some of the pieces had to be glued individually once the main compartment structure was in place.

Every drawer layout will be different, so the best way to assemble the dividers is to place the largest component first and then build onto the structure from there.
diy custom wooden drawer organizers
After everything was dried, we were finished!
Below you can see our finished silverware wooden drawer dividers.
diy custom wooden drawer organizers
And here's the drawer filled with all of our silverware.
diy custom wooden drawer organizers
And finally, our cooking utensils drawer!
diy custom wooden drawer organizers
These wooden drawer organizers turned out exactly how I imagined! Perfectly fit for each drawer.

Now there is a compartment for everything and each item has a designated place. We decided to keep the wood unfinished because it makes the dividers look like they came with the drawers, just like a custom design.

These custom drawer organizers are perfect for kitchen drawers, but can also be used in so many different places in your home. I’ve got so many ideas for where I could use them in the future. And, because you create the layout, the options are limitless.

You can see the full DIY tutorial for the DIY Custom Wooden Drawer Organizers on the blog. Just click on the link at the end of this post.

>> Christene

Connect with me on Facebook -- [facebook.com/keystoinspiration]
I also love Instagram! -- @keystoinspiration

• Unfinished Poplar Boards
  • Loctite
  • Measuring Tape
Christene @ Keys to Inspiration

• Msm12268247

Can I borrow that man and his saw? Forget a husband.

• Gra28699096

Wouldnt it be a bit easier if you start with a piece of cardboard or posterboard cut the size of the drawer and put that in before laying everything out...draw the lines around it and then measure?

• Rosey Owings

I also need the man that did this wonderful work! Also need an extra drawer; an extra wide one for the utensils! Our house was built by a contractor that you would know that we always need extra drawer space! Apparently his wife didn’t. Anyway this is a dream of mine: more organization ALL over my house!! Great job & your wife is very, very blessed to have you!!

• Jsc4564048

Yes I would like to try it. Where did Marsgreen7 find the dividers already made that fit her drawers?

• Marie

I totally love this project. My husband did this for me 2 years ago. We are now replacing our cabinets and he will be making new ones for me for pennies as the cabinet company wanted $500 for 4 drawer inserts!
    Yours look fabulous!

• Danny

We were inspired by your project but needed to simplify it because of the lack of tools We had access to (that’s a bigger reorganization project coming).

So we reorganized our kitchen junk drawer using a few 98 cent yard sticks from Lowe’s ®️, a coping saw and a bottle of Gorrilla Glue.

Note: when I do it with our smaller junk drawer I’m also going to get a square for straighter cuts. I am disappointed I didn’t get a before picture but it turned out alright. The nice feature about using cheap wooden yard sticks is they are already marked at 32nd”s!

• I love this idea!! those yard sticks are perfect. I think this is perfect for a junk drawer too. I might just try it out especially because of the already marked measurements. Super convenient. Thanks for sharing the pictures. The results look great!