Asked on Jun 9, 2017

What are the best house plants to keep bugs out of a home?

KmdreamerDa.13944957Laura Wands
+6

Wanting DIY plant ideas to keep ants, spiders, roaches, etc. out of my house. I keep a clean house but when neighbors don't and they spray it tends to send their critters running next door. HELP!!!
  • Tobey Cole Famolaro
    Tobey Cole Famolaro

Lavender, lemon grass and mint are few that critters don't like
  • Tobey Cole Famolaro
    Tobey Cole Famolaro

Lavender, mint and lemon grass are a few
  • Mary Hurwood
    Mary Hurwood

Peppermint is the best, for me. Especially if you make a spray from the leaves, and put it around windows, doors, registers.
  • Michelle Laxton
    Michelle Laxton

Thank I'll start with those
  • Laura Wands
    Laura Wands

Mint is especially easy to grow too. We live in the middle of a forest( seriously), so I've planted it all around our home to keep bugs outside. If you do see any inside, you can use FOOD GRADE diatomaceous earth- it looks like baby powder. You can sprinkle it behind & underneath cabinets, etc. That will also keep bugs away,& wont hurt you or any pets you may have.
    • CJ
      CJ

Food grade DE is safe if you don't breath the powder, use a mask.
  • Da.13944957
    Da.13944957

If you put bay leaves around in inconspicuous places seems to work for me. I had " army's" of ants come to visit every year in the Spring, I now put the baby leaves around and haven't had them for about 4 years now. My neighbor told me that ants eat the roach " eggs" , something I never knew.
  • Kmdreamer
    Kmdreamer

mint oregano