Drop Cloth Rug

$50

Make your own area rug for a fraction of the price! With a drop cloth and fabric paint, I was able to create a modern design for our master bedroom.
I started with a large 12' x 15' drop cloth (affiliate link). I created large hems along three sides with fusible web tape to create a rug that was about 8' x 10'. The center of the rug has only one layer, but will be under the bed. The thicker outside perimeter will be more comfortable underfoot.
Position your drop cloth, and attach area rug tape (affiliate link) to the outside edge. This will keep the drop cloth in place when you walk on it.
To create the stripes, I lay down varying strips of painters tape, then removed the centers to reveal the areas to be painted.
I used fabric paint to fill in the spaces revealed by the painters tape. I pounced a foam brush on the fabric to create a grain sack stripe effect.
The final result turned out better than I expected. Not bad for a temporary area rug! I found that the vacuum sucks up the corners of the rug, so I sweep it with a broom from the inside out to the edge. Sweeping the rug also helps keep the drop cloth flat and the stripes straight!

For more details on how I created this area rug, please visit my blog at The Handyman's Daughter by clicking the link below.

Easy DIY Ideas To Add Some FUN To Your Office Space
15 Awesome Projects To Get You Ready For St. Patrick's Day
31 Ways To Keep Your Home Organized
Add A Hint Of Farmhouse Style In Your Home With These Ideas
Upgrade Your Backyard With These 30 Clever Ideas
15 Cute Ways To Decorate Tin Cans Into Planters
30 Address Signs That'll Make Your Neighbors Stop in Admiration
These Bathroom Makeovers Might Inspire You To Update Your Own
3 Ideas To Use Terracotta Pots You Definitely Haven't Seen Before
15 Decor Projects That Will Make Your Home Beautiful
Everything Red For Canada Day
15 Unique Father's Day Crafts
21 Ways To Use Those Pickle Jars You've Been Saving
Vineta @ The Handyman's Daughter