How to Paint Window Sills and Trims

$30

I'm in the middle of doing a room reset, changing up our formal lounge room. Our house is about 20+ years old and has wood trims throughout. Some of them looking a little weathered, especially on the window sills. So I decided to start with this room, painting the trimmings white.
Weathered wooden window sill
I started by sanding the window sills and trims along the floorline next to the carpets.
Then wiped down the sanded trims and sills with sugar soap and water to remove any grime. Rinse rag well and wipe down again.
I filled any holes in the trims with wood putty. these were holes left from an old curtain rail. Wait for the putty to completely dry, then sand and wipe down.
Painter's tape was essential in keeping the paint away from the already painted walls and carpet. When using painters tape to protect carpet, I lay the tape down on the carpet leaving about 1/3 of the tape resting along the wood trim.
Then using a paint scraper, I tucked the painter's tape down in between the carpet and the trim.
Once I had masked off all the metal window panes, and the walls next to the window trim, I was ready to paint.
I started with a primer/undercoat, then painted the top coat of a durable water based enamel. Enamel paint is great for window sills and trims and usually comes in semi-gloss to high gloss. I opted for a semi-gloss.
Looking great after carefully pulling away the painter's tape!
When pulling painter's tape off the carpet, I used a paint scraper to gently push down between the tape and trim, to release any paint that had stuck to the tape, before gently pulling up away from the carpet.
In this pic you can see the old wood trim on the right, and the new white trim o the left. I'm looking forward to showing you how I did this on the other side of this same room during a Hometalk Live DIY demo this week.
For the rest of this blog post on my website, you can view the before pics of my room reset, and see some peeks of what I'm doing to change up the room including a bookcase makeover!

• Sandpaper
  • Putty
  • Putty knife

I Restore Stuff

• Mary

What color and brand of paint are on your wall? It's beautiful..
    • Angel

The best paint I've ever used is sherwinn Williams cashmere
  • Norene Chase McShane

No matter how I tape or with what, I always seem to have leak throughs....how do you prevent that? Your edges are beautiful...mine are always awful...Thanks.
    • Margaret Pagan

Use less paint to prevent saturated tape. A sponge edger may help you. Taking time also was my problem doing smaller areas at a time helped me. Gorilla tape doesn't bleed, if you don't over paint it comes off clean.
  • Donna Orbaugh Ewing

What is sugar soap? Where can I get? Will this also clean old cabinets? Thanks