Crutches Upcycled Into Tripod Lamp

I was looking through one of the high end furniture web sites when a small picture of what looked like crutches caught my eye. On closer inspection it turned out to be a super cool vintage tripod lamp and I thought--hey, I could do that!
Check out my blog for more upcycles like this.
crutches upcycled into tripod lamp, home decor, lighting, repurposing upcycling, The crutch was disassembled the rubber removed from the handles and feet and a slight taper cut into the end
The crutch was disassembled, the rubber removed from the handles and feet, and a slight taper cut into the end.
crutches upcycled into tripod lamp, home decor, lighting, repurposing upcycling, I squared off the top of the arm rest at the top of the crutch drilled some holes in the sides and inserted some hanger bolts
I squared off the top of the arm rest at the top of the crutch, drilled some holes in the sides and inserted some hanger bolts.
crutches upcycled into tripod lamp, home decor, lighting, repurposing upcycling, I made a template making sure it was big enough to accept the top of the crutch and used it to cut out the hub from some plywood
I made a template making sure it was big enough to accept the top of the crutch, and used it to cut out the hub from some plywood.
crutches upcycled into tripod lamp, home decor, lighting, repurposing upcycling, Brackets attach to the bottom of the hub the top of the crutch will fit in between them and wing nuts will hold it in place
Brackets attach to the bottom of the hub, the top of the crutch will fit in between them and wing nuts will hold it in place.
crutches upcycled into tripod lamp, home decor, lighting, repurposing upcycling, Everything was sanded and painted in a faux dark wood grain The tips of the feet and a few other spots painted sliver for a more authentic look
Everything was sanded, and painted in a faux dark wood grain. The tips of the feet and a few other spots painted sliver for a more authentic look.
crutches upcycled into tripod lamp, home decor, lighting, repurposing upcycling, The silver paint looked a little too shiny so I painted over it with some black paint and wiped it off to make it appear more vintage
The silver paint looked a little too shiny so I painted over it with some black paint and wiped it off to make it appear more vintage.
crutches upcycled into tripod lamp, home decor, lighting, repurposing upcycling, Everything was reassembled including some chain on the handles to keep the legs from sliding out
Everything was reassembled including some chain on the handles to keep the legs from sliding out.
crutches upcycled into tripod lamp, home decor, lighting, repurposing upcycling, All the electrical parts were added including restoration wire for the cord The socket is a Lamp In A Bottle kit I bought at Wal mart
All the electrical parts were added including restoration wire for the cord. The socket is a Lamp-In-A-Bottle kit I bought at Wal-mart.
crutches upcycled into tripod lamp, home decor, lighting, repurposing upcycling, Detail of the legs including the vintage look cord
Detail of the legs including the vintage look cord.
crutches upcycled into tripod lamp, home decor, lighting, repurposing upcycling, The finished lamp
The finished lamp.
Scott Valentine

Questions on this post

Your question...

Comments

2 of 41 comments
Next