Pool Noodle "Stone" Column

$15

This post was inspired by Jen and John at Epbot.com

Pool noodles are sold everywhere now that it's summer and depending where you shop, you can purchase them for only $1. Here is a unique idea to make a decorative stone column using those inexpensive pool noodles.
Along with 9 pool noodles, you will also need an 8" concrete form, duct tape, caulk, contact cement, spray paint and two pieces of 12"x12" wood.
Begin by cutting six of your pool noodles in half lengthwise.
On your cement form, measure from one end 5" and make a mark around the entire circumference of the cement form.
On the opposite end, measure down 3" and make a mark around the circumference of the cement form.
Lay one cut pool noodle on the form, curving it around.
Draw a line along the edge of the pool noodle. This will give you a starting point when you apply the noodles to the cement form.
Brush each cut side of the pool noodles with contact cement.
Brush the entire cement form with contact cement.
Allow both to dry at least 4 hours.
When they are dry, they will not feel sticky; however, they will stick to each other.
Using the marker line, lay your first noodle along that line on the cement form. It won't stick immediately so you have time to make adjustments.
Once you are happy with the placement of the first noodle, continue to lay the cut noodles, cut side down, side by side, spiraling around the cement form.
The noodles will be bigger than the form so cut the noodles to fit inside your measurements.
To make the round ends, bend an uncut noodle around the bottom of the cement form. Cut the noodle ends until it fits snuggly around the cement form.

When you have the correct size of the round end, duct tape the ends of the uncut noodle together.
You will need to make three round ends/rings - two using the same size noodles as you used on the column and one larger.
Place the rings onto the ends of the column. One end should have two rings and one end should have one ring.
Outline the circumference of each end ring onto the 12"x12" wooden pieces.
Apply contact cement inside the circumference marks on the wood.
Apply contact cement onto the bottom of each end ring.
Allow to dry at least 4 hours.
Place the end ring onto the wood pieces. This is your top and bottom.
Apply caulk where each piece of noodle meets the next piece of noodle.
Apply caulk where the round piece of noodle meets the wooden piece.
As you are applying the caulk, wet your finger and smooth out the caulk lines. Continue to caulk the entire column.
Allow to dry.
Apply texture spray onto the column.
Using a cloth, pat the texture spray so it is lying flat against the noodles.
Allow to dry.
Spray entire column with primer.
Allow to dry.
Spray the entire column with "stone" spray paint.
Allow to dry.
If you are using the column outside, apply a sealant.
Use your new "stone" column in your decorating.
The column is very light weight so if you use it outside where it's windy, you may have to place some type of weight in the bottom before you attach the 12"x12" wooden piece.
This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

• 1cs1267

Is the larger round noodle ring the top or bottom?

• Touchedpainter

Actually the placement is not better in any one place or another, just a different look. Try it alone at the top or bottom; or with the double in either position. Then when done decide which end you want on top the double rings or the single ring. Be creative and add more rings, even in the middle along with varying or the same widths. The sky is the limit as to your personalized twist on the columns. Make several different heights. Make the project your own.

• Linda S.

Love this idea! But if you want them sturdier for outside, why not pour fast-drying concrete into the forms before continuing with the rest of the directions.

• Elliebgood

I’d mix the cement with packing peanuts, and only fill about 1/4 -1/3 of the tube.

Just enough to keep it steady.

• Luanne

Could I put this over wooden column outside year around

• Debra Ruley

I don't know why you couldn't, just make sure it's sealed properly.

• Nana Judie Watson

I was thinking about what to use as a weight. You can pick up ankle 5 lb. ankle weights at a second-hand store you can cut up the weights for a few dollars and use 2 or 3 of those and it should hold them down or maybe hand held barbells and you shouldn't have to worry about the weights falling apart or rusting. You could use large rocks and glue them to the rock starting from the inner circle by the foam and work towards the middle. Maybe I'm overthinking this, I tend to do that. Let me know what you think.

• Butterfly
    16 minutes ago

You floored me with this one!! My mind is blown🤯!

I am printing the instructions and pinning them on my project board because come Spring I will be making theses columns to put outside in my yard...Genius!

Thank you for sharing this project.