Asked on Jun 10, 2017

Hanging bird feeder on a shepperards hook

Chubby58ShansmowThelma Pagnoni
+8

What can I put under or around the feeder to contain the seeds on the ground? I would like to be able cut the grass around what ever you suggest to contain the area.
My husband is very sick and I don't want to remove it from his view. The Cardinals come every day and the rest of the birds do also, but it is ruining every thing under it.
  • Bobbie
    Bobbie

Nurseries and nature centers offer wide trays that slide onto the feeder pole to catch the spilled seeds
  • Donna
    Donna

What about a 2 inch deep top off a metal garbage can and put chicken wire over the top. The birds can't get to the seed. Lots of blessings to you and your husband. Donna
  • How about something like a giant scalloped tree ring around it and fill with pea gravel.
  • Michele Pappagallo
    Michele Pappagallo

You could build a small box around the bottom using landscape timbers...get your home center to cut them for you. Then fill the area with mulch and the birdseed will drop in there.
  • Dfm
    Dfm

do you think a small plastic baby wading pool would work? the shepherds hook should be able to punch thru it...and water should be able to drain out of it.
  • Inetia
    Inetia

You could try a no mess cardinal food. You could also look for a feeder that has a deeper tray. If the mess is falling into the lawn keeping a shop vac handy with which to vacuum up the mess is also an option.
  • Nancy Turner
    Nancy Turner

I leave the seed for the little creatures so they leave other areas alone. I even had a mallard picking up seed under the feeders. A shop vac probably will do the trick if you have firm ground under your feeders. I have hostas and ferns that hide a lot of the seed. I very seldom have the seeds germinate. Good luck and bless you for wanting to keep the feeders for hubbies enjoyment.
  • Thelma Pagnoni
    Thelma Pagnoni

Thank You Nancy
  • Thelma Pagnoni
    Thelma Pagnoni

Thank You Inetia
  • Shansmow
    Shansmow

I had the same problem and just attached a large melamine plate under the feeder. I literally just did this today and posted the project! And I have to say it's already worked.
    http://www.hometalk.com/30860817/bird-feeder-catcher
    Hope it helps and good luck
  • Chubby58
    Chubby58

I usually let my seeds drop. I've seen squirrels, chipmunks and other tiny birds eat the seed that falls. Sometimes the feeder is full of larger birds, so the little ones just eat off the ground.