Meredith Greenberg
Meredith Greenberg
  • Redondo Beach, CA

Queen Anne Chair Gets A Shabby Chic Makeover

$5

I am super excited to share this shabby chic makeover with you today. My co-worker from my kickboxing studio gave me 3 chairs that were a cluttering up her space. I decided to start the makeover process with the odd man out. The arm chair (The other 2 that I received are armless dining chairs).

I thought this chair would make a great vanity or home office desk chair. Shabby chic is a style that I know many love.

Here Are The BEFORE Photos!
queen anne chair gets a shabby chic makeover
Supplies needed for this project:
  • Power drill
  • Staple gun with staples 
  • Flathead screwdriver
  • Needlenose pliers
  • Behr Paint – Satin Enamel “Vintage White”
  • Sandpaper
  • Daddy Van’s Lavender Furniture Wax
First, I Had To Take The Cushion Off Of The Frame To Start This DIY Process. 
This was pretty easy. 3 screws help this cushion in place. I used my power drill to remove the screws.
Next, I used a smaller flathead screwdriver and needle nose pliers to remove all the staples that secured the old fabric on the cushion. Once, I removed them all… I moved on to reupholstering aka stapling the new fabric onto the cushion with my staple gun.
I also had to paint the frame with my own creation of Chalk paint. I used Behr Paint satin enamel in the color “Vintage White.” Want the recipe for the DIY chalk paint recipe? Check it out  [HERE].
I painted a couple of layers of this white chalk paint all over the wooden frame. Once all the layers dried, I went back over this piece with sandpaper to age it down a little bit. I wanted to give it that shabby chic look!
I even had feline assistants to make this piece over. We will just say that they supervised while I worked. lol
My Last Step Was To Use Furniture Wax To Seal The Chalk Paint And Aging.
Here is the finished product! Don’t you think it looks a bit nicer than it did? Maybe I am just partial to lighter furniture but I love it so much more! I hope to find it a nice home too.
Please let me know what you think of this piece in the comments below! Please share if you found this tutorial to be helpful or inspiring.

If you enjoyed this post, you might also enjoy…

Check out the blog post for all links to specific products used for this furniture flip!

• Chalk Paint
  • Fabric  (Online Fabric Store)

Meredith Greenberg

• Carol Huggins Nauman

Did you have to sand, prime or prepare the wood before painting it? Thx.
    • Michelle Jones

I just finished doing a huge quantity of kitchen doors, drawers and cases in Annie Sloan Chalk paint. The dealer (who also runs classes) told me to wash very carefully with TSP (I used the spray variety) to remove grease and dirt. She also said no sanding. I wish, in retrospect, that I had given them a light sand. I missed some spots with the tsp and got "bleed through" of grease and/or old shellac. The dealer/instructor then suggested that I go back over those spots with shellac and then touch up. For the most part, this worked. So, no priming.

The chair is lovely. The soft pink ticking goes really well with the paint colour. If it still needs a home, mine has space. lol

• Brenda

I tried to get how to make the chalk paint but nothing came up. Can you give me the recipe? I have a chair I want to redo. TY

• Judy

I also tried to get your how to make chalk paint but an error page showed up , could you please give it to me ? Thanks. Your chair is a beauty.