What's the best way to keep pipes from freezing?

there is crawl space under the kitchen and bathroom where the pipes have frozen before when we had a string of very cold days.
  5 answers
  • In a crawl space a vapor barrier of thick plastic should cover the ground, the vents under the house should be closed in winter, and insulation should be between the floor joists. There is insulation for pipes and you can wrap them. Otherwise, heat tape which can be found at your home store to wrap the pipes and plug in will keep the pipes from freezing. Good luck1
    • @The Garden Frog with C Renee I have to add~heat tape is usually for galvanized or copper piping. The wrap can be used on any pipes and will help considerably against freezing.
  • Dianna Holmes Dianna Holmes on Jan 23, 2014
    Yes, heat tape. i had to get new tape this year. ;(
  • Jean Adams Jean Adams on Jan 23, 2014
    Have you girls heard of flex pipe? Had it put under my old farm house in Weatherford and now I don't have to think about freezing. It is installed by a plumber an d expands with the ice. Price was reasonable as the plumber was my friend, but whatever the price, I would consider it a bargain.
    • See 1 previous
    • Jean Adams Jean Adams on Jan 23, 2014
      @The Garden Frog with C Renee Aren't you glad you survived and now up to snuff. That last pipe was probably a hazard. Codes are there to protect you.
  • The plastic pipe they are talking about is PEX and although it will expand and contract with frozen water, its not its job. And you still risk the chance of it splitting. Crawl spaces are notorious for frozen pipes. Particularly those in the Westfield area. They are often very tight area that are poorly air sealed and lacking proper insulation. The quick fix is to wrap the pipes with heat tape and pipe insulation. In areas where the pipes are exposed to breezes from vents or leaking wall surfaces, you need to seal those areas as windy weather can freeze pipes faster than you would think.
  • Jean Adams Jean Adams on Jan 28, 2014
    This flex pipe looks like stainless steel with a design in it. Is this what you call Pex? This pipe I used was NOT plastic. Please clarify for me. Thanx