DIY Sea Glass Stepping Stone

$25

I live near the sea and one of my hobbies is searching for glass on the beach. Not freshly broken glass but pieces that have been softened by the action of the surf over time.

The light shining through them looks beautiful and I figured out a way to capture it in a mosaic. A piece that not only looks beautiful but can be used in the garden -- a Sea Glass Stepping Stone.

Watch the video above for the full instructions -- it's about six minutes long and shows you how to make this project in detail. It even shows you what happens if you get impatient towards the end!

Step 1: You'll need to collect enough sea glass (or other colored glass) to create the mosaic top of your stepping stone. I used about a Mason jar full for mine but it depends on how large your mold is. You can use an old steel pan as a mold or even better, use a silicone baking mold.

Step 2: Spray paint the back sides of all the glass white. This ensures that the color of the glass is vibrant instead of reflecting the gray concrete that you're going to use to create the stone.

Step 3: Mix the concrete and aggragate together with water and pour it into the mold. I like to layer a piece of wire in the middle to give the stone more strength.

Step 4: Press your sea glass into the top of the cement, white side down. You can also add shells and beach stones. I added some stones that I spray painted silver.

Step 5: Wait at least two days for the stone to harden before you tip it out of the mold. It should pop out a metal pan with a gentle tap but with silicone it's no trouble at all to get out. Spray the top of the stone with clear glossy finish to create a shiny and fresh-from-the-sea look.

Step 6: Dig your stone into the garden and watch as it glistens in both rain and sunshine. I made the stone in the above photo three years ago and it's still looking as gorgeous as the day I made it!

For full written instructions with links to where you can get materials head over to my blog: http://lovelygreens.com/2015/08/diy-sea-glass-stepping-stone.html

• Susan W

Just watched the video and I love the idea! My concern with spraying it with a “very high gloss varnish” is that, although it would look great, it would also be quite slick, especially when wet or even damp??

• Nina Li

Just commenting here - It’s beautiful....almost too pretty to be outside. I love it!

• Patsy47

i agree! too lovely to leave outside.....perhaps by the front door or a porch if u have one....gorgeous look tho !😍

• Barbara Meeks

How thick do you pour the concrete

• Bonita

Beautiful!❤

• Katie

Thank you for providing written instructions in addition to the video. I don't like being forced to watch a video because there are no other instructions!