Rolling Work/Storage Table From An Old Door

$12

Free up valuable space and repurpose an old door by making this simple, quick, and inexpensive rolling work table that has storage!
Storage is at a premium in our basement, as I'm sure it is for more people. And like a dust bunny, my workshop keeps expanding into the space. Wood and scraps and bits and pieces were stored and stashed everywhere which was horribly impractical and inconvenient. Thankfully I had an old door laying around from a previous project of installing a sliding barn type door and some 2x4 ripped out of our first floor bathroom.
Here's a splendid before shot. A compact mess but a mess nonetheless. It was functional as a work table but as always, it could perform better.

Be sure to visit my blog, Flipping the Flip, by clicking the link below for more details about this project and so many more!
All I needed were six swivel casters (two locking) and some screws and this easy project was complete in no time!
I measured my existing (supposedly) temporary work table height and cut new legs to match, subtracting of course for the caster height and the thickness of the door.

After running out of 2x4 and feeling ridiculous for having to purchase more considering the point was to use it all up, I cut some cross pieces to act as shelves of sorts and also as leg support.
The casters were attached to the ends of each rolling leg unit. I made a total of three units.
In retrospect, I should have done a few things different:
1. Don't screw the legs into the door solely from below.
2. Add support connecting the legs, parallel to the door.
3. Don't rely on a crummy hollow core door to hold your whole project together.
In the end though, it has worked out great. All my wood scraps and bits are now stored under the table, freeing up valuable space around the basement. Plus the table rolls out of the way or wherever it's needed.
The great thing about this project is that is hugely versatile -- dress it up a bit and it makes a great office or craft room storage work table. Dress it up even more with a weathered reclaimed door and it's a great dining table, indoors or out! Cut the door in half, make two tables! The ideas are endless.

Be sure to swing by my blog by clicking below for all sorts of great stories and projects!

• Repurposed door  (my house)
  • 2x4  (my wall and a lumber yard)
  • Casters  (Menards)

The Top 9 Kitchen Countertop Makeovers People Are Doing Now
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
15 Totally Doable Makeover Ideas You Can Finish In One Day
Do Your Kitchen Cabinets Need an Update?
26 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You REALLY Excited for Christmas
32 Space-Saving Storage Ideas That'll Keep Your Home Organized
30 Fabulous Wreath Ideas That Will Make Your Neighbors Smile
Becky at Flipping the Flip