Shiplap. Subway Tile. Barn Doors. When Should You Use Trends ?

+6
Hi, I'm Jenn. I flip houses and blog about over at The Bachelorette Pad Flip (www.bachelorettepadflip.com).
I'm weighing in on the Fixer Upper craze & the usage of design trends in home. From orange shag carpet to subway tile, when should you use design trends & when should you not? https://bachelorettepadflip.com/2017/06/12/when-you-should-use-design-trends-when-you-shouldnt/
e shiplap subway tile barn doors when should you use trends
  • Bgoncalves5670 Bgoncalves5670 on Jun 14, 2017
    When selling a home I have found its best to go with up to date neutrals. Most want to add their own creative touches. If the home has a certain age style to it , I would use a few cool retro details, but less is best. It's in the staging that you can bring in a style if you feel creative.

• Jan Clark Jan Clark on Jun 14, 2017
    When we remodel, we avoid all trends that are permanent. We go with 'updated' colors and use furniture and accents to keep up with the times. Remember the population is getting older all the time. People over 50 might go for retro, but mostly they want 'comfortable'.

• Jo Ann Jo Ann on Jun 14, 2017
    I agree that if you are planning on selling a house neutrals are better. Although we had some bright colors in the home we sold last summer. And it sold in 35 hours, not days, hours. The house we are buying on June 23rd has mostly dark,dark colors in the kitchen and living room, looks like a cave but the house is perfect for us. There will be some shiplap and bright colors and lots of new lighting very soon after we move into the house.

• Martha Martha on Jun 14, 2017
    i think the new trend of shiplap and barn woods are comfy and just made for me personally i LOVE IT! but with buying and selling i would stick to some modern touches but stay neutral and make it all flow together.

• You're right Martha....if you love it and it's your home that you plan to stay in and enjoy, you SHOULD use whatever you want- trends or not!

• Cori Widen Cori Widen on Jun 14, 2017
    I just have this sneaking feeling that shiplap will never go out of style 😀