Quick Patio Makeover

1 Material
$50.00

I live in a rental home with a decent covered patio, but I wanted to spruce it up a bit- without spending a lot of money, so here's what I decided to do.
Before

The patio does not have a lot of appeal. I measured the distance between each post and I thought of making curtains from outdoor fabric, until I saw the price. I needed six panels for my project. I remembered some curtains I purchased a few years ago at a yard sale just sitting in a cabinet.
1. I purchased three tension rods and hung the curtains.
2. I purchased the largest indoor/outdoor rug I could afford and added a small wood table (another garage sale find). I already had the folding chairs.
3. Add tie backs and call it done...for now!
I'm waiting for seasonal sales for planters, a proper patio set and a larger rug.
I plan to get three planters and position them between the posts. When outdoor furniture goes on sale, I will get a set, possibly a sofa and two chairs. And a larger rug.

• Six curtain panels, garage sale. Three tension rods and tie backs. Area rug.  (Garage sale finds; At Home.)

• Paula Jean Myers

Love the idea. Have a patio too. How did you attach the tension rods?
    • Celia Collier

I measured from post to post and bought the size I needed. The tension rods hold themselves up. Since doing this they only blew down once during a huge windstorm. I just washed the curtains and put them back up.
    • Rose Broadway

This turned out very nice. If you decide to do this again or maybe in a different home, you could purchase drop cloths for $11 at Home Depot or Lowes. That's what I made my curtains out of for the pergola and also a bedroom.
    • Kristine Kelley Bailey

The cheapest rug we found for our huge sun room believe it or not was at Lowes. Giant leafs done in white on blue, 118.00. It is indoor outdoor and vacuums like a dream.
    • Kristine Kelley Bailey

The rug is huge.
    • Virginia R

Also check with flooring stores. They often have "remnants" very cheap. I once got 3 room sized carpets free that were removed from a home being re=carpeted. The home owner had listed them on Freecycle site. They were in great shape. The home owner was just changing color scheme!
      Since the carpet store was very near me, they even dropped them off to me.
    • Sarah Beston

9'x12' Indoor/Outdoor rugs at Target! $59!

• Margareth Wlodarski

Old Time Pottery if in your town

• Deborah

Tension rods otherwise known as shower rods!

• Debra

This what I did for our living room curtains at the farm for that country feel. I used the loop clips that just clip onto the material and strung the loops on my curtain rod. Easy peasy! 😊

• Tami

Great Job! I wonder if you could stencil paint the cement?
    • Celia Collier

Yes, I could stencil but since I'm in a rental, I'd have to ask permission.
    • Pat

That would be really nice to spend some of that cemen! that was a good idea!! And cheap to do!!

• Debra

I think a good power washing would help alot too?

• Sonya

Why not try outdoor interlocking deck tiles? They are $7-$11 per square foot, made of beautiful materials and, best of all, they are reusable. You can take the flooring with you when you leave!

• Cherie

Stenciling is a great idea, Tami!

• Alison Sam Campbell

Flat sheets also make good patio curtains. Garage sales & thrift stores are great resources & pretty decent area rugs can be found there also.

Great patio flip!

• Arlene

I did something similar to my screened back porch. Picked up some large screw in hooks at hardware store...large enough so pvc pipe would rest in hook section. This became curtain rods. Got some cheap ivory shower curtains and plastic shower curtain rings for $ 4bucks per curtain ( needed 6) and $1.00 a pack for rings.

these have lasted 6 years so far. Just slip the rings off the pvc, run through washer rings and all, and rehang on pvc to dry😊

• Reneé

I would love to see a pic of this I have been wanting to to this cheapest way possible ! Can you post a pic ?