Repurposed Toddler Bed Becomes a DIY Potting Bench: Trash to Treasure

$0
1 Week

This repurposing project is sponsored by Beyond Paint, but the project idea, pictures, video, and opinions belong to Thrift Diving.

There’s something sad about getting rid of your kids’ baby and toddler furniture, isn’t there?

I’d put it up there with getting rid of their artwork: no matter how much you know you don’t need it anymore, sometimes you just can’t.let.it.go.
But this toddler bed??
It was time. It needed to go.

But I knew the thrift store wasn’t going to take it.
They’re so “iffy” when it comes to taking kids’ beds!
And don’t even think about donating a crib. They’ll turn you away faster than you can beg, “Just take my junk, please!!

As I was pulling it out of the trunk, bummed that I was stuck with it, thinking about the firewood it would make, an idea struck…
I COULD REPURPOSE THIS BED INTO A POTTING BENCH!
And this, my friends, is how ideas strike.
Because when I took the bed out of the trunk, I happened to sit it down just like this:

And then–BOOM!

I can repurpose this toddler bed into a pretty potting bench! 
For the complete list of materials I used, you can head over to the post by clicking here.

Go ahead and wipe down your furniture projects before you paint them. We’re using Beyond Paint for this project, and they definitely recommend starting with a clean, dry, and oil-free surface.

I’ll admit that I’ve been lazy in the past and simply painted over dirt. NOT RECOMMENDED! 

Simple Green is what I generally use and I keep a big bottle handy. Do yourself a favor and get yourself one to keep around, too! Add some to a spray bottle to make it easy.

Next is taking measurements. I’ll be honest with you: I suck at taking measurements. I’m always a little off, somehow! Whether it’s my measuring or my cutting, at times, I don’t always get it right. LOL

Check my blog to see the detailed post about this repurposed bed.
SEALING THE POTTING BENCH FOR OUTDOOR USE

Whenever you’re using Beyond Paint outdoors (or on countertops), it’s always recommended to use their multi-purpose sealer for durability.

I brushed this coat on with a brush (I was all out of clean rollers).  It goes on milky but dries clear. Just make sure you don’t over-coat it or it could dry cloudy!

(Once it dries, I’ll go back and add a second coat, just for extra durability).
I absolutely love coming up with creative ideas like this!
And just to think, this toddler bed almost ended up in the trash! It goes to show you that trash really can become treasure when you’ve got paint, power tools, and a creative idea!

Thrift Diving

• Gita Sharma

Hai how do you prevent wooden stuff from spoiling as while watering the plants water will spill drain etc.thanks

• Patty V. Y

I love it, looks great. And I must say I love how you bring something home not knowing what it will be used for, and then to set it down the direction you did, and boom! Planter bench. Gardener and repurpose'r after my own heart. Thanks for the idea, and share.

• Marie

Very Nice idea ! Turned out fantastic i love it💖