How prevent water from seeping in @ foundation on 1 side of my house?

• Holly Kinchlea-Brown Holly Kinchlea-Brown on Jun 15, 2017
    Does the ground slope towards your foundation or away from it? If it slopes towards the house, a simple fix would be to build up the soil at the foundation and have it slope away.
  • LG LG on Jun 15, 2017
    I probably need to explain my situation--my house in front is bricked 1/2 way up. My living room on other side of wall is sunkened. When I water my flowerbed in front of the brick wall, the water seeps underneather the brick & into my concrete livingroom floor--don't even know where to start? Thought of running a concrete footing in front of the brick approx. 12" & the length of the frontal brick? But don't know if this would work?
  • Margaret Margaret on Jun 19, 2017
    I have the same problem on the north side of my house getting run off from my neighbors lawn. I was told about a 'French Drain' where they supposedly dig down a number of feet, paint the concrete with a water sealer, then put a chicken wire like liner in the trench and fill it with gravel to below where it would damage your living room. It would take a professional most likely. Could you water your flower bed more frequently so there wouldn't be so much water running down? The run off is worst if the ground is very dry or clay so that it can not absorb the water as soon as it hits. Would it be possible to move your flower bed? Maybe plant some shrubs or a hedge in amended soil that was more absorbent??? Watch out for mold caused by the dampness if you have carpet. I had a leak that caused mold growth and had to have a hazmat team come in and remove all of my sub flooring, lower kitchen cabinets and the sheet rock up 18". VERY EXPENSIVE!