Marty's Musings
Marty's Musings
  • Greensboro, NC

From Ugly to Brand New! How to Spray Paint Plastic Chairs!

$10

I like free stuff. Free is good, but sometimes you need to spruce up the free stuff. Know what I mean? Today’s project is a short little tutorial on how to spray paint plastic chairs. I’m thinking you probably have a couple of ugly chairs in your backyard that need a makeover, too!
from ugly to brand new how to spray paint plastic chairs
I think learning how to spray paint plastic chairs qualifies as one of the easiest DIY projects anyone can do! Do you have some old chairs or furniture you want to painted and transform?

For information on the products I used just go to the blog post link below.

For more fun ideas with paint check out my posts on How to Paint Furniture with Chalk Paint and 7 Chalk Painting Tips for Beginners.
When our next door neighbor of 25 years moved away she left us a round table and four chairs for extra seating in our backyard. The chairs were in dire need of transformation and since I love pops of color I knew the backyard was the perfect place for them. 
In our neighborhood people are always throwing out chairs but you can also be on the lookout at yard sales and thrift stores. Seriously, if everyone knew what a quick transformation a coat of spray paint provided those chairs would be snatched up!

Plastic chairs tend to absorb all sorts of debris and stains from living outdoors in all types of weather. All I did was scrub with a good cleaner but more than likely you won’t get the chair perfectly clean. That’s alright! Paint covers a multitude of sins!

I made sure I saved plenty of time for the plastic to dry out so the paint would adhere well. No sense skipping this step and messing up the final product!

Nothing fancy about spray painting. Just layer on a decent first coat and let it dry for about 45 minutes. Since I’m a messy painter I used plastic underneath to protect the yard. You don’t have to waste paint on the underside of the seat but check for nooks and crannies that will be visible. Let dry for another few minutes.
I found two coats to be sufficient, which ended up using about 1 1/2 cans of paint per chair. I’m probably a little more liberal with the paint than my husband but for just a few bucks you’ve got brand new chairs!

If you want a glossy finish and you chose a matte color we did find a top coat that was also a gloss (follow the blog link for the product we found). I loved the red I used, but apparently I picked the only color that didn’t come in a gloss finish, which Tim likes. He’s going to top off the chairs with this product. 

• Spray Paint and Primer  (Home Improvement Store or Amazon)
  • Spray Cleaner  (Walmart, Target or Amazon)

Marty's Musings

• Sandee Soika Schreiber

What is bleachy powder, you mean like Comet?
  • Pink

What is the name of the color you used? Love the color very nice display. Thanks for sharing
  • Emmawilliams1

did you use a spray paint/primer combination for just plastic? Pretty color of chairs...Well done!!

• Marty's Musings

That should work fine! Just make sure and give it a clear protective cost on top if it’s going to be outside.

• Itsmemic

I just painted mine too ! GORGEOUSLY LIKE NEW !! Paint...a miracle !

• Black Hills Rosie

Yes. My poor old green chairs will be much cheerier with fresh paint when Spring gets here. I hate buying new stuff when the old is still serviceable so very glad to see this. Hope I can find your pretty color.