How can I get counterspace in a tiny cottage?

+4
I live in a tiny cottage and cNt figure out how to get counterspace f
  • Laura Laura on Jun 16, 2017
    I have cutting board that fits over top drawer when pulled Out. Also they make collapsible hinges to be used with piece of laminate or cutting board that folds flat against wall when not is use
  • Jewellmartin Jewellmartin on Jun 16, 2017
    Make everything work double time. Get a sturdy tray, wide shelf or cutting board to place over your sink for more counter space. Hang everything you would normally keep on the counter. If you have room for a TV tray, other small table, or a short bookcase, move your coffee pot there, with cups hanging on hooks above the coffee or tea pots. If you have space in a hallway or other room for a bookcase, use that to store other kitchen appliances, extra dishes and pots and pans, and cookbooks. Hang some aprons on hooks, hang a cloth or curtain in front of the storage items, or a screen can camouflage your secret. Get rid of or store things you just don't plan to use and haven't used. I would love to see your cottage when you add some more storage. Best wishes 😇
  • Diane Diane on Jun 16, 2017
    I've laid a large cutting board or other board across my sinks for instant counterspace.

• Cud15744056 Cud15744056 on Jun 16, 2017
    try something on wpheels. I purchaseda couple rolling carts online which I use to hold my big mixer with Bowles under and my spices etc. I love them.
  • Nancy Eaton McEwen Nancy Eaton McEwen on Jun 16, 2017
    Large cutting board over sinks and stove helped me at our camper. I had to learn to make my own space and make work arounds.
  • Gil22382756 Gil22382756 on Jun 16, 2017
    Afraid you're going to have to start thinking, and storing items, UP. By UP, I mean, taking all non-daily used items now on your countertop and begin storing them on TOP of any flat surface (cabinets, islands, etc. ) I live in a mobile home so can feel your pain. Christopher Lowell, TV's first "gay" decorator used to say: "If you've always decorated/stored your counter items out (or across), start decorating/storing UPWARDS". My kitchen countertop was so full of "stuff" I started using my lap. It was time for a CHANGE.

First, I stacked food items in large cannisters or buckets on the VERY TOP of my movable antique pantry. - potato chips, cookies, pretzels, seeds.
    Then, atop my small kitchen island on the LEFT side, I concocted three (3) hard-wire "shelves" to support turntables on all levels. On the BOTTOM turntable, I put things like medications, pens, pencils, note paper, butter, etc. On the MIDDLE turntable, I put spices I used every day. On the TOP turntable, I put long kitchen tools plus several kinds of scissors inside a heavy ceramic canister.
    Atop the RIGHT side of the island, I balanced a small, old, wooden bookcase (deep 1'x1'), which I painted. On top of the bookcase, I put anything FLAT - kitchen grills, flat cooking appliances. Inside Shelf 1: Corningware Baking Bowls & Lids. Inside Shelf 2: Large Electric Skillet. Shelf 3 (Bottom): Large Square Corningware Baking Pan & Lid.
    Last, in the middle, I have a turntable containing EVOO, OO, Coconut Oil, and a few tools & foodstuffs (Cream of Wheat) I have to use and make every other day for my DOG.
    In other words, on the items you need handily, and daily, this will free up a TON of actual counterspace. In a small kitchen with limited counterspace - start BUILD UP, NOT OUT ! I learned a lot from the Christopher Lowell, the "gay" decorator on TV many years ago. I don't know where he is today, but I wish him well.

• Lindy Lindy on Jun 16, 2017
    Oh how I wish you had attached a photo to help with a specific solution to your problem--can you do that? I would love to comment, but not sure of your space and how it's configured.