DIY Faux Inlay Box

$20

Learn how to create a beautiful DIY faux inlay pattern with just a little paint and a decorative box!
diy faux inlay box
My goal with this project was to create a pretty faux mother-of-pearl inlay pattern on a plain wood box that I've had for years. There were definitely a few bumps along the way, but I love the way it ending up turning out!

The first step is to paint the box a solid gold color using a foam brush and some craft paint. This is the easy part!

After the paint dries, use a small angle tip brush to add the faux inlay details.
diy faux inlay box
I recommend searching the web for potential designs; you’ll find lots of beautiful furniture to inspire you. Typical inlay patterns include swirling vines, stylized flowers, and sometimes more geometric shapes, all contained within a border.

Take your time doing this, and make sure your brush isn't loaded with too much paint.
diy faux inlay box
This is kind of where my project went wrong. I went too fast and my pattern started blending together. It was kind of a mess!

Here's a shot of the whole box:
diy faux inlay box
Thankfully, all I needed to fix my shoddy painting was a gold marker.

Simply use the marker to clean up your designs, sharpen details, slim down thick lines, etc.
diy faux inlay box
Much better, and I loved how it ended up turning out!
diy faux inlay box
Stop by my blog (link below) for more details on how you can create your own DIY faux inlay box!

• Wood box  ((see my blog for some resources))
  • Paint
  • Foam brush
Ginnie - Hello Little Home

• Jenne Gagnon

It. Looks great! I sand the box with high grit sandpaper, go over it with a tac cloth. Then painted 2 coats of high gloss paint. Don't forget to lightly sand the first coat. Let dry 24 hours between coats. My color of choice was med. dark jade. I found a stencil I liked and used pearl white nail polish. I loved it, so did my mother, it left with her. Next Chinese Red