Asked on Jun 17, 2017

How to make curtains on really low budget without a sewing machine?

JoAnnMdc22028462Marie Miller
+19

this is nailed up to bedroom window
  • Diann Harry
    Diann Harry

Watch the clearance on fabric shower curtains. There are so many beautiful colors and patterns now. Put up a cafe rod and cut to length. This is what I did in my RV ,and an added bonus, they are mildew resistant. This is a major bonus for areas that get damp! You can either hand hem or use iron on tape at the bottom to prevent fraying.
  • C. D. Scallan
    C. D. Scallan

Use sheets for a single bed or nice shower curtains .
    • C. D. Scallan
      C. D. Scallan

You're welcome . I can't tell you how simple curtains have been made over the years with cute sheets , especially for the children's rooms . There are so many adorable cartoon character themes available .
  • Use command hooks to hold a lightweight curtain rod. Use a sheet or shower curtain or purchase fabric and use stitch wichery to iron seams instead of sewing.
  • Chargemouse
    Chargemouse

Shower curtains are a great idea. So many pretty prints/themes out there. Added bonus is that they are 72" wide and 72" long, making them fit most windows. Iron on hem tape is super for this. Can mount a decorative rod above the window and even use shower hooks which will slide easily and make it easy to open and close the curtains. Good luck with your project!
  • Elaine
    Elaine

For our guests bedroom, I had an inexpensive black rod installed and slipped on black rings (the kind that have a clip that holds the material). I bought single sheets on sale at Walmart and then simply clipped them on; one sheet at each end. I decided the room needed a bit more darkness (for sleeping in!) so I simply added a second layer of sheets - clipping one sheet behind the other. It looked great! If your windows are too high, buy some extra fabric in the same color or a contrast if desired, cut it the width (and extra length) you need and fasten it to the sheets with that iron-on tape available at Walmart. No sewing at all!
  • Ibeecrazie
    Ibeecrazie

I've used both sheets and shower curtains. Each work well. I actually prefer them over *real* curtains because they are easy to put up, inexpensive, and the material is usually thinner (like cotton sheets).
  • Marjorie Fuhst French
    Marjorie Fuhst French

Just get iron on hem tape anywhere they sell sewing notions. Check thrift stores for pressure rods, too. If you don't have fabric already, check thrift stores for fabric, sheets, tablecloths, etc.
  • Virginia R
    Virginia R

If using sheets, you can just take out threads on each side of hem to create a "pocket" to put a rod thru.
  • Virginia R
    Virginia R

I make most of my curtains from sheets but I do sew and usually add linings, edgings, etc. Like ibeecrazie commented, I also prefer sheets over reg curtains. They are less expensive also.

• Dff11150295
    Dff11150295

I've made curtains from sheets and have found that they are often not square. Measure carefully. I also finding that individual sheets are becoming increasingly difficult to find. So many sheets are sold only in sets now. Where are others finding them?
  • Lorraine
    Lorraine

You can use table cloths with the clip rings, very cheap and look amazing
  • Becky Partain
    Becky Partain

Look for inexpensive fabric or shower curtains. Hem it using iron on tape.
    Make your own curtain rod using PVC pipe and paint it. Oil rubbed bronze looks amazing. Good luck and post pics when it's completed.
  • Angela
    Angela

Thank you
  • Marie Miller
    Marie Miller

You can find sheets and just put your rods thru the hem on the top of the sheet.
  • Mdc22028462
    Mdc22028462

I use twin size bed sheets and run a rod thru the larger fold at the top
  • JoAnn
    JoAnn

Sheets are the way to go or you can find some cheap material on sell and use iron on sewing tape to hem-works everytime! Or fabric glue.