Fix A Rush Chair

$0

My rush seat was perfect, and then it wasn't.

how to patch a rush chair

At first I was miffed, but since I have repaired other kinds of chairs before with a simple DIY trick and gotten fabulous results, I decided to try again myself before I tossed this one.

how to patch a rush chair

One of the pieces on the chair had snapped and the seat was beginning to unravel. The shop wanted $200 to fix it (more than the chair cost) so I decided to try DIY.

The process wasn't complicated, but it was a bit tedious. What I did was flip the chair over to find the other end of the torn rush. I cut it and planned to use it as a patch on the top of the chair.

how to patch a rush chair

I cut it to size, I glued it in place and then took the loose rush pieces on the top of the chair and wrapped them around the new patch piece to make it look like it had been woven in.

how to patch a rush chair

I used a hot glue gun to secure the pieces in place and cleaned away any extra very gently with a razor blade.

The chair sits at my DIY farmhouse kitchen island. It's been back there in its repaired state for just about a year now and it's still perfect.

For more photos, tips and tricks on this process, you can visit my site.

Kim  |Exquisitely Unremarkable