Jacque
Jacque
  • Tutorial Team
  • Atwater, CA

6 Quick Fix-Facelift Ideas for Builder Grade Bathrooms ALL Under $120

$120

I'd like to share some bathroom face-lift projects we tackled a few months ago. EACH can be done in 6-12 hours, some less some more (if paint is involved) but nothing over a day. When I know I can finish a project in a day (or so) I am definitely quicker to start/try it. Our '06 builders grade bathroom was plain old ugly and odd! They put carpet in the vanity area & a one piece "acrylic" counter with single sunken sink (should be two) plus oak dbl cabinets.
We would rather go on vacation than fund a full remodel, so a face-lift was all we could do on our modest income. Everything we did was under $120 total...and that was spent mainly on flooring & paint. ( I wasn't planning to post. I had painted the cabinets before I took my BEFORE Photo.)
6 quick fix facelift ideas for builder grade bathrooms all under 100
1-Paint Sink & Counter
We used Rustoleum counter-top paint. (See below) Cost $15-20. Before we painted we sanded the smooth surface and we removed the faucet. Painting took the longest since it was a dark grey on a white surface. we used 4 coats and thought we ruined it by not waiting long enough in between coats. We ended up with a neat distressed look & feel. I really like it! I have no clue how to duplicate sorry! 
Distressed on accident!
Distressed on accident!
2-Spray Paint Faucet & Fixtures
I had some fixtures from an old kitchen remodel but they were brushed nickel. Nothing a little Rustoleum "oil rubbed bronze" spray paint can't help me with! It's only $7! I didn't want to buy a new faucet either so it was spray painted too. It's easiest to spray outside to get every nook & cranny, then reinstall. If you can't, just tape off and use brown paper bags all around to make sure no off spray gets anywhere.
3-Paint Cabinets
I used chalk paint on the cabinets. I removed all door/drawers, wiped clean with Windex all surface cleaner and painted. I used Plaid "Plaster", I had this leftover from another project. As the doors dried I painted the body of cabinets.  I used a thin coat of paint so it was easy to distress with 240 Grit in spots. I used 80 grit in others to get a real used nautical rustic wood look. Rehung doors/drawers and distressed more to my liking.
Materials used
Materials used
4 Mirrors-Make borders
There are medicine cabinets on each side and a huge 5x3ish mirror. I put a burlap rope border around med cabs with a hot glue gun and painted a wood 2x4 border for large mirror. My husband installed it after we connected all 4 sides with wooden pegs to ensure it stays in place. I apologize again for such little detail.
After-mirror boarder
After-mirror boarder
5-Arts & Crafts
it's fun to make your own nautical items. I did a cpl fun Stencils paintings on burlap since it is my kid's bathroom. I used the pirate skull and another themed piece. Costs nothing but it sure is fun.
6-Flooring
I could not wait to rip out that old gross carpet! This can take awhile to get all the nails out of subfloo. We got 12x24 Traffic Master self adhesive vinyl tile. It went down quick and were easy to cut around the edges. What a HUGE improvement they make!! This is about .99 cents a sq ft. and the bulk of budget.
Arts & Crafts
Arts & Crafts
Completed bathroom
Completed bathroom

• Plaid Chalk paint, Rustoleum countertop paint, oil rubbed bronze spray paint, sand paper 80-240 grit, burlap rope  (Home Depot, Lowes, Hobby Lobby)
  • Traffic Master 12x24 self adhesive vinyl tiles

• Jean

My bathroom sinks have crack lines. Is it paintable or should I just replace?

• Becky

Does this product work to paint a shower stall also?

• Ttjalex1

How well does the countertop paint hold up?

• Michele Jackson

I have painted my kitchen countertops before. I used a really good primer and painted laminate counters with melamine paint. Cupboards were the old 80's wood with brown tiles. I also painted the backsplash in a high gloss white melamine paint. Treat kitchen counter with a little caution no cutting on it no putting hot pots on it lasted me 3 years was impressed for $50 and some elbow grease however for bathrooms highly recommend the stone kit looks like granite and extremely durable

• Patti

Looks great! What about the longevity issue. With various things being put both in the basin and on the counter!!! Id worry about that.

• Eroque022810

Jacque, please paint the door/doors, it looks like there are 2 doors. Also, be grateful for the 2 vanities, I have a one sink one vanity and long counter at least you have storage! 😉 When you can change out those blue cups that you have on counter shelf, store as much as you can in vanity,maybe for now just place that shelf in vanity. I know this is real life and I am happy that you posted I learned alot, but all that personal hygiene stuff should be out of site,you have 2 medicine cabinets, or like I said just put in vanity. It distracts from the beauty of the counter and vanities you worked hardest on. OK well, everyone has their own tadtes, likes and dislikes,so don't be offened,you hit some great points but fell short on others ,for me.

• Christine

Why paint the doors?? Most people would want all the doors in their houses to match. Woodwork (baseboards, crown molding, doors, banisters, etc.) provide continuity and fluidity from room to room. If you paint all your doors to match each individual room in your house, you end up with a patchwork quilt of a home.

As far as personal hygiene items - to each his own. This is a children's bathroom and it's easier for kids to use the items and then put them away if there is a place where they are seen. I know my kids are more likely to brush their teeth if their toothbrushes and tooth paste are in plain sight.

• I had NO idea there was such a thing as countertop paint ! I am DEF going to do that ! TY!