Roger S
Roger S
  • Mooresboro, NC

Old Hutch Makeover

$100.00
Advanced

One of my friends had a old hutch that his grandmother purchased sometime back. He wanted to convert it to cabinets to use in his new home. When I looked at it I determined that it was made from MDF board and pressboard almost no wood at all. The drawer had a single wood slide in the middle and bumpers on the sides. He wanted to paint it a Drum Skin color and the doors he wanted to remove the glass and the louvers and replace them with raised panel doors. Here are the before and after pictures. What do you think?
Here is the way it looked before.
Here is the way it looked before.
This is the base section. The doors were made of MDF and the louvers did not go all the way through. He wanted to replace these with Raised Panel doors.
This is the top section with glass doors. He wanted to remove the glass doors and replace them with Raised Panel doors.
Finished project front view. The Drawer was modified to use the Blum under mount self closing slides to make it run smoother and stay closed.
I made 4 raised panel doors. Two with arched tops and two with straight tops. I added the 120 degree Euro hinges so that they would not show and he can remove the doors with the push of a button,
View of right side.
View of right side.
Front view with doors open.
Front view with doors open.
Top view with doors open.
Top view with doors open.
Bottom view with doors open.
Bottom view with doors open.

• Roger S

Thanks Barb & Anne for the comments. I would agree with the thought of leaving the glass doors on top if this was going to be used as a Hutch to display fine china. But the owner wants to use it as cabinets in his Kitchen to store items that he would not want everyone to see. This being the case I had to do what he wanted. He picked out the style of the doors and I just made them from scrap lumber.

• Bev Carstensen

I have one almost like it with glass top doors and wood bottom doors.. I like it better in the wood look and use it in my kitchen ... Love it!!