UGLY Utility Boxes No More!
The utility boxes on my house are located on the front, right side. Visible as you're walking or driving down the street. Just an UGLY sight. Since there wasn't a practical way to hide them, I decided to use them as a surface for art instead.
I sketched out a simple design. I like birds and knew that I wanted to make that the anchor for the design. I'm artistic, but felt I needed to use a stencil or trace the birds. I used what I had already. A pair of metal bird wall art and a metal dragonfly that I use on my front door. But other than that, I freehand painted as I went along.
I traced the birds and dragonfly onto the boxes.
I gathered all of my exterior acrylic paints. I used the colors that I have on hand. I blended, lightened and darkened to make the colors I have work for my project.
I started by painting the birds brown and the dragonflies purple'ish....solid. It took a couple coats of paint. I realized that leaves would be a nice filler. I'd originally thought of freehand painting branches. I cut out a simple leaf stencil out of a piece of scrap cardboard. (I don't have a picture of it, but easy) As the first coat of paint was drying, I randomly traced on the leaves. Then just started layering the colors. I prefer to work with one color at a time. A lot of dots. Big ones, then when they dried, I added smaller on top.
I decided that I wanted more movement, so I added honey bees, then blue dotted swirls.
Ta da! I can't make the boxes go away, but at least they look better. I might go back and add more color dots inside the leaves.
Note: It was a free project for me since I used what I have on hand. I worked on it on and off for about a week. Mainly because it would come up a storm.
- Metal bird wall art (A yard sale years ago.)
- Dragonfly (Ebay)
- Outdoor type acrylic paints (Michael's and Walmart 0)