Pattie
Pattie
  • Toms River, NJ

Beachy Coastal End Tables

$60

I moved into my house 2 years ago and had this project on the back burner. I had 2 claw foot end tables with glass on top and wanted something more Beachy Coastal looking so I decided to get this project done once and for all.
Table before
Table before
I took the glass off the top and then realized that I could also remove the curved wood, which I really didn't like. My project now had great possibilities.
Table no top
Table no top
Here is the table minus the glass and curved wood.
Painted Base
Painted Base
I used an off white chalky paint that I bought from Joanne's. I gave it 2 coats and did a little light sanding to smooth the paint and then used a heavier sandpaper to create some distressed marks. I then applied two light coats of MINWAX Water Based Polycrylic Satin Finish that I bought from Lowes. You can also use a chalk wax or a different finish if you prefer.
My New top underside
My New top underside
I went to Home Depot and picked up some really nice pine wood planks. I cut them so that they were about 1 inch bigger than the base of my table. I don't have a circular saw, so I used a hand saw to cut each piece. I placed the planks on my workbench and used another piece of board to make sure they were aligned. I used clamps to hold down the first plank. I took a smaller wood strip and drilled holes before screwing it to the table top.
Table top after a light sanding
Table top after a light sanding
I lightly sanded the edges and top of my new table top. Now it was time to paint it.
Paint that I used
Paint that I used
I used the off white chalk paint for the base of my table and the light blue chalk paint for the tabletop. After painting the wood table tops , I then used an Antiquing Dark Satin Acrylic Wax that I bought from Lowes. I applied the antiquing wax with a brush and then removed most of it with a damp cloth. Once the top was dry I used a light coat of the same acrylic satin varnish that I used for the base. I used a spray varnish.
beachy coastal end tables
This is the varnish/protective sealer that I used. It is made by Minwax. I lightly sprayed the base and the top with two coats. You can used any varnish that you like but this one dries very quickly.
Table Completed
Table Completed
This is one photo of the completed table.
beachy coastal end tables
Closeup of new completed table.
Final project in my living room.
Final project in my living room.
Final photo of my 1 end table next to my sofa. I love how it goes with my Beachy Coastal decor and I now have more room on top of each table to show some of my beach treasure (more to be added). Now to do the second table. Since I am now a pro, I shouldn't have any problems and it will move quicker.

• Wood plank pieces  (Home Depot)
  • Screws  (Home Depot)
  • Chalkpaint and varnish  (Joanne's and Lowe's)

• Tita Antunes

it looks great now, how about using the unused top now to make a frame, for a mirror or even for a picture?....
    • Pattie

Thank you, I already thought the same thing.
  • Kira

Beautiful! How did you detach the table from the top. I have one that I’m trying to detach and it’s givjng me trouble with the glue!

• Peggy

Love this look and I have those exact tables. we moved to the beach recently and have got to do this!! I need clarification on the table tops, 1st coat of paint is blue and then the antiquing dark satin? next, did you just sand places to get distressed look or did you use wax stuff? thanks for your inspiration!!!

• Irm28518505

a bust!
  • Christie

I thought you could not use polyurethane if wax was used.
    • Pattie

I never heard that. The wax was more of a stain. It didn't give it the satin finish that I wanted to achieve.