How to make ur paint old looking

• Nancy Eaton McEwen Nancy Eaton McEwen on Jun 19, 2017
    lightly sand and then use a light stain ? I know there are tutorials for chalk paint users.
  • Babalu Babalu on Jun 20, 2017
    You don't say what you're thinking of for a project.. is the wood bare and unfinished? If so they do sell pickle washes.. grey and whites and maybe some blues.. it makes the wood appear to be "weathered" and is fairly easy. If the wood is not bare, then there are two other ways to "age" a project.. but since you mention using a stain, please know that stains cannot be applied to wood that already has been painted without first removing ALL of the original finish; try a spot to see for yourself, but my experience is that the stain will stay "tacky" and will not dry if applied over an existing finish.
    If you're meaning something along the lines of "shabby chic".. distressed furniture of all types here are a few suggestions:
    Clean the surface you'll be painting before you do anything else no matter what method you use; you don't say what you'll be painting but my expertise is with furniture. Method 1.) Chalk paint will stick to anything without having to prep the surface with sandpaper and it's easy to make. Chalk paint can be made by mixing 1/3 cup of plaster of paris (cheap to buy; comes in a box or plastic container and is a powder) and 1/3 cup of water (cool or room temp; not hot water) ; stir until smooth. Mix that with 1 cup of latex paint. I use satin but flat paint will work too; as long as it's latex. Avoid gloss or semi gloss paint for this method.
    A.) wash the surface and let it dry. Decide on two colors .. a primary, and another for underneath (or more if you want; depending on what you're doing. I have applied up to three colors, one over the other )
    B.) because I'd be later distressing the area (making parts of it look worn and old)
    I would first apply one color of paint (or stain if working with unfinished wood) to the corners, edges and any parts of the wood that are raised. I could and sometimes have applied regular paint for the first coat, but only if I sanded first or if the wood was unfinished. There's no need to apply that first coat to cover your area completely.. only those areas that you'll be aging/distressing.. but many people will completely cover their project (to me it's a big waste of time)
    C.) once that's dry, apply the primary color over all areas. It can be rolled on or brushed but because the chalk paint will dry quickly, I've always used a brush. It's Ok to dip the brush in water if the paint begins to thicken or dry on the brush and it's even Ok to add more water (tablespoon at a time) if the paint begins to feel too thick to work with.
    D.) after the main color has been applied and has dried (it dries quickly and there's no need to wait overnight) you'd get a sanding sponge and start rubbing it over the area you want to distress.. it all depends on how much you want to distress it; I've done both the totally shabby look and the light distressing depending on the outcome I want.
    E.) the finishing touch, if one desires; for dresser tops etc I would always finish using a satin poly coating or finishing wax. Finishing wax looks nice but it take a lot of work and elbow grease so after a while, I gave it up for the poly coating. There is also a wax that can be applied into corners, cracks etc that is expensive and for me, was never worth the effort, but some use it for the effect of a "patina" that to me was just not worth it. I would apply black or dark brown paint in those areas instead and while it's still wet, use a rag to wipe it off which would leave plenty in the cracks and corners and gave the same effects, if not better.

Method 2.)
    A.) Sand the area well to remove at minimum the finishing coat .. the finish that's already there. Clean the area you'll be applying any paint or stain to
    B.) Stain should only be used on bare or thoroughly sanded wood (it will not dry or stick well over the original finish.)
    C.) Paint with any paint you choose.. then sand the area's you want to "age" . If you prefer using the wax for the antique "patina" .. it's not too hard to mix the finishing wax with a little stain and cram in into the corners and crevices where it makes sense.. wipe the excess away while before it dries.

Method 3.)
    A.) if your piece is already painted and you only want to "age" it, just sand away those areas.. I find a sanding sponge (around $3) easiest to work with and they are reusable too. Then use a finishing wax over the sanded area's (or the entire piece, depending) , with a darker wax (or mix some stain into what you have to make the color you're looking for) for the corners and crevices.. wipe any excess away while it's still wet.
    B.) Once dry (instructions will be on the can of wax for dry time) buff to the desired sheen.

• Annmarie Annmarie on Jun 20, 2017
    Put beeswax on the areas you want to look old/used/ etc. Paint will not adhere to the beeswax so you wash it down when the paint dries and it comes off easily.