Asked on Jun 19, 2017

I have lots of hummingbirds. I make my own nectar. Can I freeze it?

JewellmartinRebecca BabbittJust Retired
+4

• Pam Burley
    Pam Burley

There is no reason you can't. Freeze it in a mason jar (to avoid contamination from plastics) leaving about an inch air space at the top. Make sure it is thawed well before putting out for your little friends. It also keeps well in the refrigerator.
  • Judy Coates
    Judy Coates

Yes you can Gail and it will keep in the frig for 5 or so days. :)
  • Julie King
    Julie King

You sure can!
  • I make my own too, but I fill 5 feeders every day. Thirsty hummers! 100° + here, no wonder. Yes you can freeze, use glass, not plastic, and leave headroom. Can also be made and kept in fridge for a few days too. No food coloring though! Enjoy your hummingbirds!
  • Just Retired
    Just Retired

Yes you can freeze it but when it thaws it has a tendency to get cloudy. So I just put mine in the frig in a mason jar and get out what I need each week
  • Rebecca Babbitt
    Rebecca Babbitt

Because of the sugar content it probably won't freeze.
  • Jewellmartin
    Jewellmartin

No red or other colored nectars. If you are making more than the five days' worth that can be kept in the fridge, freeze it, of course. I suggest freezing it in one or two day amounts, if you have room. It will thaw from one day to the next, and save time in making nectar so often. In sealed containers, the nectar should last in the freezer for three months. After thawing, be sure to shake the jar to keep the sugar distributed. Happy hummingbirds😇