Mish Volonino
Mish Volonino
  • Hendersonville, TN

DIY Miniature Doll Swimming Pool and Patio

$20

diy miniature doll swimming pool and patio
What you will need for this project is 2-4 sheets of foam mat board. You can buy these at the dollar store. 2-3 sheet of craft foam sheets in browns and gray. Fast Grab Tacky glue, scissors, silver plastic hangers, and a Cat Liter pan.
As you can see from the photo above, you will use the silver plastic hangers for the step ladder. You will cut two of the hook/ hanger pieces right where it meets the base of the hanger. Cut a straight piece from the bottom of the hanger. From the straight piece measure and cut two steps.
You will glue the steps onto the two hooks. I used a glue gun but you can use the tacky glue. You will just have to be more patient for it to dry and be stable and secure.
Now you will take your cat pan and turn it upside down (open side down) on one piece of your foam mat board. Take a pencil and draw the outline on your board where you want your pool placement. Now, draw a line about 1/4 to a 1/2 inch inside the line you just traced. Carefully cut out with an xacto knife or sharp scissor.
This will be your patio around for your pool.
You can purchased the craft foam sheets at any craft store.
You will create faux stone with these foam sheets. I chose to create a random pattern with square and rectangle pieces but you can create round stones too. If creating round stones you could be creative and fill grooves with faux dirt or even spackle grout.
So you will cut your stones. You will take one primary color to measure out rectangle shapes all the same size to cover the pool opening. This will give the appearance of bullnose stone work around the pool's edge. See next photo.

To secure the foam board stones, I used the Fast Grab Tacky Glue to paste on top letting them cure for about 20 minutes. I used the glue gun to secure them snug around the edge and underneath. This is why you want to cut the pieces rectangular and long enough to wrap around edg and underneath.
When it come the the round corners, you will snip and fit until you are happy with how the stones fit together.
You will them add faux grass to areas if you desire or you can just do a faux stone surround.
I chose to add faux grass around certain areas of the pool. I wanted to create a garden later. I also added extra faux stones to where I would attach the pool ladder.
All of this can be customized to how you want your pool surround to be.
Next, I took my faux foam stones and randomly glued them in. I snip and cut pieces as I'm laying to fill in small gaps. I used the Alene's Fast Grab Tacky Glue to secure each stone down.
You don't have to do this step. You can leave stones as they are. I chose to shade my stones. I used Tim Holtz acid free stamp pads. You can used watered down acrylic paints in a dry brushing technique or you can completely paint any color you desire.
This is how the pool surround looks when all is laid out. This is such a great project to personalize.
You will want to support the surround on all edges underneath. You can create support from matboard or wood cut the same height as your cat liter pan.
this is part one of this project. There is so much more you can expand on.
Part two I will share how I've personalized and added accent and gardening to this project.
I hope this will inspire you to create a fun summer area for your dolls. Thank you for reading my post.

• Foam Mat Board  (Cat liter pan)
  • Foam craft sheets  (Fairy garden grass)

To see more: https://www.facebook.com/DollhouseMiniaturistSeries/posts/1776463529091372

• Dlagardens

Great gift idea for a little girl

• Peggy Lockard Shermer

I really love this thanks so much. A lother of different things can be used to make this that are in your crafting things and so much can be added. You are a genius! !!!!!!!!!!