Tin Can Happy Sunflower Sign

$10

Make a fun summer sign that just makes you smile and feel happy every time you look at it.
tin can happy sunflower sign
I used scrap wood, tin cans, some paint, copper, tin cans and hardware to make this sign complete. I even added a little stencil and fresh flowers from the garden.

This is a fun project with several steps so I recommend visiting the original blog post linked at the end if you might be confused.
tin can happy sunflower sign
So here we are, scrap wood and 2 tin cans. I had leftovers from a cedar fence board and some panel board.

Both are nice and thick which is perfect for sign projects.
tin can happy sunflower sign
I took the panel board and sketched a sunflower then cut the shape out using a jig saw. After all the wood was cut to size I sanded each piece because we'll be painting and staining next.
tin can happy sunflower sign
I painted the front and side of the sunflower and stained the other boards the same way. I just used a single coat of each and they dried pretty fast.
tin can happy sunflower sign
The next step was to stencil the word, "Happy" towards the top then line up all the wood and flip it so I could connect everything from the backside using screws. Three drills holes were added for the copper beginning on the top right.
tin can happy sunflower sign
The cans were connected to the sunflower from the front after drilling holes in the cans first. Wear gloves in case the cans slip. I also added some white highlights to the sunflower prior to adding the cans because that yellow was really bright.
tin can happy sunflower sign

The additional holes for the copper are drilled on the left. This wire was fed through for detail and a hanger was included on the back of the sign so it's easy to hang.

The lemon balm and sunflowers were added after filling the cans with water. The fun part was to sit back and enjoy this simple Happy Summer Sign.

I would say this project is at a medium skill level and will take sometime to complete because you have to wait for things to dry prior to putting it all together. Click here for More pictures.

• Wood + Copper + Hardware  (Home Depot)
  • Paint  (Hobby Lobby)
  • Tin Cans  (Recycled)
Garden Up Green - Carole