Alicia W
Alicia W
  • Middletown, PA

How to Remove Dried Paint From Clothing

$5

If you are a DIYer, you probably have some clothing with dried paint on them. Here's how to remove it - for real!
how to remove dried paint from clothing
I had this sweatshirt for 30 years and I love it because it's comfy and because it was my father-in-law's. I can't wear it out of the house because about 17 years ago I was painting my daughter's room and got blue paint on the front. At the time I wasn't that concerned but after all of these years, I wanted to see if I could remove the paint.
how to remove dried paint from clothing
You will need 91% rubbing alcohol and an old toothbrush.
how to remove dried paint from clothing
Pour the rubbing alcohol directly onto the paint and scrub. And scrub and scrub.
how to remove dried paint from clothing
Flip the garment over to expose the back side, pour rubbing alcohol onto the paint and scrub, scrub, scrub. Even if the paint didn't seep through to the other side, add the alcohol and scrub the area.
how to remove dried paint from clothing
Once the paint has faded, grab your blue Dawn. It must be blue!
how to remove dried paint from clothing
Pour blue Dawn directly onto the paint and scrub, scrub, scrub. Add water to your brush and continue to scrub.
Flip the garment over, pour on blue Dawn and scrub, scrub.
Wash the garment with other clothing as you would normally do.
how to remove dried paint from clothing
Here is the sweatshirt after the first washing. I removed it from the washer and saw that the paint was still there, it was faded but still visable.
If you can still see the paint on your garment, DO NOT PUT IT INTO THE DRYER.
how to remove dried paint from clothing
Start the process over again.
Pour rubbing alcohol onto the paint and scrub.
Pour blue Dawn onto the paint and scrub.
Make sure you scrub the back side too.
The stain should begin to disappear.
Wash the garment again as you would normally do.
how to remove dried paint from clothing
After pretreating the sweatshirt with rubbing alcohol and blue Dawn twice, and washing it twice, the paint is gone!!!
Remember - this paint had been on this sweatshirt for 17 years and it's gone!
I seriously couldn't believe it.
Give this a try if you have a beloved article of clothing that has paint on it. It really works - you've seen it with your own eyes.

• Blue Dawn  (Grocery store)
  • 91% Rubbing Alcohol  (Grocery store)

• Glb16576086

After all the scubbing and scrubbing and scrubbing what size of thread do you use to mend the hole

• Jennifer

Do you know if this would work on enamel paint??

I am so going to try this! Also, I'm going to try it on a sweatshirt that I got Great Stuff on. I'm pretty clumsy when it comes to doing stuff, I get stuff on my back! How????? Don't know, but it's there:(

• Vanessa

I have used Motsenbocker"s LIFTOFF. Latex Based Paint Remover. Removes All kinds of paint on all kinds of materials. It doesn't say for clothing but I have used it a lot on clothes and it does work like a charm. Spray on wait 60 seconds. brush or blot, rinse. Found it in Lowes. Saves from all that scrubbing.

• Carol Sybrowsky

Alcohol should not leave ANY oily residue because it is not an oil! I use Dow Foaming Bathroom cleaner for paint drips on clothing and on CARPET! It works very well when the item that has NOT been put through the dryer. Acetone also works well for acrylic paint but best to use it outside because it is flammable. Finally, I have had good success with Orange Oil based products - even removing red candle wax and lipstick marks from carpet in rentals I own.