Ikea DIY Desk Hack

61K Views
Linnmon and Lerberg Ikea desk hack

I got a new desk! I am just finishing off re-decorating my office/sewing room and I was badly in need of a new desk. I needed something that was going to be sturdy enough to sew off and something that would double up as an office desk too. I was looking at some second-hand desks and scrolling online but I couldn't find what I had in mind. I then had a look on the Ikea website for some ideas. I was also limited for space and was restricted in how big my desk could be. I stumbled across the Linnmon table top and loved that you can pick different legs to match.
I wanted something that would pick up the new colours in my room so I decided to give my table a mini make-over so it would match my room better.
Time: 3 HoursCost: $90Difficulty: Easy
I picked the Lerberg trestle legs to go with my Linnmon table top. The legs were an absolute steal at €6 each. I got the 120cm x 60 cm table top and that was €19. My table cost me €31. I then spent on Rust-oleum surface primer and Rust-oleum bright gold spray paint to transform the trestle legs.
As you can see from the pictures, the original table legs were a dark grey colour. To pick out the colours of my wallpaper I decided to spray them with the bright gold spray paint. You might remember my other blog post where I used the bright copper spray paint, You can read that here.
  • ikea diy desk hack

I removed the trestle legs from the packaging and set them up outside on a dust sheet. I always use spray paints outside in the garden. I sprayed each piece with the surface primer. I used the grey coloured surface primer. I allowed them to fully dry before I sprayed them in the bright gold colour. I used one coat of surface primer.
Once fully dry I then applied a coat of bright gold spray paint. Before assembling I allowed a few hours as I wanted the paint to be fully dry to avoid it chipping during assembly. Once I had fully assembled the trestle legs I went over the legs with the bright gold spray paint to cover the screws and gave it one final light coat of colour.

• ikea diy desk hack

Then for the fun part! Setting it up in my new space.
We got the new wallpaper up and have the room painted ( thank you Mr Dainty ), so I was really excited to set up the table in front of the new wallpaper. I just love how the gold pops against the wallpaper. I have also set up my sewing machine too and can happily report that my table is perfect for crafting and cutting fabric off.
  • ikea diy desk hack
This Diy is something really simple and anyone can do. My best advice is to take your time and follow the instructions on the can. I got my spray paint in my local woodies but check your local hardware store and see what they have. It is the perfect afternoon up-cycle.
I am going to do an office tour on my Youtube soon so keep an eye on my page and my Instagram for an update.
  • ikea diy desk hack
  • ikea diy desk hack
I removed the trestle legs from the packaging and set them up outside on a dust sheet.
  • ikea diy desk hack
I sprayed each piece with the surface primer. I used the grey coloured surface primer.
  • ikea diy desk hack
I sprayed them in the bright gold colour. I used one coat of surface primer. 
  • ikea diy desk hack
Next, I assembled the legs.
  • ikea diy desk hack
Here they are, fully assembled.
  • ikea diy desk hack

Suggested materials for this project: