Adding More Storage & Making It Snazzy: DIY Cabinets for a Bathroom

$275
1 Week

In my quest to completely makeover our main floor bathroom, I added a bunch of storage cabinets to replace a useless tub. But not just any cabinets, ones that have a unique look to them.
more storage please diy cabinets for a bathroom
This is the bathroom before, how the house flipper had left it though this post is not about the bathroom renovation, it's about the cabinets I built and installed.

Now, before you think I'm ridiculous for going from full bath to powder, know we have other full bathrooms. This house used to be a two flat. And this is right off the kitchen, we don't need a tub there. Awkward.

But, so, we needed more storage, not more tubs. Plus this look was not appealing to us whatsoever. Yeesch, my eyes.
Here's after I took the tub out and discovered the 1890's brick wall hidden behind the tacky tile. Super cool look and I opted to leave it exposed. So then came the cabinet design:
The entire premise of this is that you have the ability to change things in your home and make stuff more workable for your needs plus also look cool too, not just solely be functional. Things don't have to be boring! Our needs? More storage, and make it snazzy.

Again, this project is only one part of a complete bathroom redo -- please come on by my blog to see how the whole project unfolded by clicking the link at the end of this post below the materials.

You don't need fancy software to do this, just a pencil and paper and some great ideas; I created a design and a plan.

And then oh, right, yes, I had to build them too. Yikes. So that part of getting started took a while, getting past the fear of trying to build nice cabinets without rock star carpentry skills.

Since this was the last element required for the whole bathroom redo (check out the vanity I made early in the process here!), the husband was itchy for me to wrap it all up.
How did I do this with no table saw? I bought the wood at Home Depot where the friendly guy cut most of it for me. My materials list will be below for you.
So it was set to work time assembling the cabinet boxes. Finn dropped by to inquire why I was not upstairs petting his tummy instead.
The boxes went together relatively quickly so then it was time to test stain and sealers. I used stain I had from our kitchen cabinet project by PureColor and went with paste wax to seal.

Be sure to come on by my blog, Flipping the Flip, for the two part series on this project and get all the nitty gritty details! The link to the second part is below.
I stained the decorative trim elements in Kona stain by Varathane. Here we see everything drying. Fascinating, right? Watching stuff dry? Heh.
Next I cut the decorative bits per my design, stained the ends, then attached them to the doors from behind, inside the doors so there would be no nail divots. Gorilla glue was also my friend here.
My sweetheart Mike was the one who decided the insides of the cabinets should be gold to match the wallpaper (you gotta come by the blog at least to see the wallpaper). I doubted this decision but alas, he was right, that clever guy! Came out pretty darn cool.

This was one coat of oil based gold paint on the unprimed plywood. Looks like gold leaf, yeah? Neat!
Final assembly was next, putting on the doors and getting it all in the room.

Among a slew of other things, I screwed up this door, putting it on upside down and it overhung the edge therefore would not close. But nothing was going to slow me down now.
Not even a lack of helping hands. Don't try this at home.
All the doors went on, all the cabinets went in, and I am finally, after four long years, are near complete on this whole bathroom redo!

The bathroom is now way more functional as a powder with ample storage than as a full with a wasted bathtub. And the cabinets look cool too! Makeover redo near complete, yay!

Be sure to click the link below for great tips along with all sorts of other fun stories over on my blog!
Becky at Flipping the Flip

• Sherry

Where did the brick come from? Was that behind the tub enclosure or did you add it?

• This project is part of a whole series of projects in the bathroom. The brick was behind the wall (it's our exterior wall) when I removed the tile from around the tub. You can see how that unfolded by clicking here.

• Lysa Manzo

I know you said the wallpaper was leftover from a tv show, but would love to know where to find it. Do you know where it came from? Which tv show? Love the brick too! Thank you!

• Cherie

I think I saw the wall and wallpaper in a different post. Is this the wallpaper with skulls on it?

You have a very eclectic taste. Are you an artist?

I love the fact that its different. I have lots of things in my house most people dont. Murals, alice in wonderland dining table etc...everybody that comes over always says it is awesome when they see it though! You just do you.

• Amazing Grace !

I am so confused! I read the other reviews and I guess the general consensus was HUH? I even clicked on the link to see the finished project, but all I saw was the sink??? If it is space you wanted I would have made a closet out of tub area with either louver doors or folding doors, shelves etc. I am still at a loss as to what the finished project really looks like?

• I'm sorry this is so confusing. In an effort to make it clearer, I've edited this post several times. The project shown here is about building cabinets not about the whole bathroom redo. The point was to show how one can customize a space, make things look cool as well as fit one's needs. For us, that wall is the first thing we see when we walk into the room, we didn't want it to be boring or a wall of doors, especially as the space is long and narrow. It would have shortened the room up visually. I hope that makes more sense.